Partial Vegitarian....

Donna L.
on 7/1/18 6:14 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Proteins: tofu, tempeh, seitan are the main ones, and are all quite low carb. Other non-meat proteins include: nuts, cheeses/dairy, and seeds. You can also supplement protein powders to various foods and boost the protein.

There are a number of people doing vegetarian ketogenic diets that are high in fat. Not as high protein as you'd need, but you can easily adjust it depending on what you need. The main thing is that plant protein is less bioavailable than animal protein, unfortunately, so you must be careful and vigilant.

As a tangent: you still absorb medium chain fatty acids via the liver, like coconut oil, as they don't need bile salts to be broken down which other fats do. A lot of vegetarian foods and substitutes will use them and they are fully absorbed so don't rely on malabsorption for those.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Karra_Hope
on 7/1/18 6:33 pm - Arlington, TX

Thank you, Donna. This was helpful information.

Recent Topics