Fasting? (And question about itching)

Janet P.
on 12/6/17 11:27 am, edited 12/6/17 3:27 am
On December 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM Pacific Time, Fire_Ice wrote:

My nutritionist and doctor keep hammering home that I shouldn't be eating fat right now.

As far as the fasting, it would be one day a month. Not every day. :)

I'm curious to know why they don't want you to eat fat -- you had the DS -- you malabsorb fat. You're almost 3 months post-op. IMHO as an almost 15-year DSer, I would say you should start adding fat. Slowly but you definitely need fat. I truly believe that could also help with your itching, as long as you ruled out an allergy.

Phew - one day a month shouldn't be an issue as long as your doctor is on board. I would also wait a few more months just until you have a better handle on your eating/drinking. I can't imagine fasting with the DS (I wake up hungry and go to bed hungry, and eat all day long :) ). I agonize when I have to fast in the morning for labs once a year.

You're still a newbie and learning the DS ropes. It will come with time. Keep asking questions :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Fire_Ice
on 12/6/17 12:05 pm
DS on 10/25/17

Yeah, the messages I see on this board are very different than what my doctor's office says. They don't want me having any fat ever, apparently. I'm much more inclined to believe/trust you guys, who have been through this and are living your lives successfully many years after the surgery. I'm not really sure where to add fat at the moment - I'm in the I still get nauseated if I eat "too much." I don't want to stretch this little pouch of mine out, especially since I suffered and paid so much to get it. :) I guess eating higher fat protein? I keep looking at recipes for fat bombs and things of that nature - I'm just not sure where/when I should start adding that kind of stuff in. I do want to take full advantage of my honeymoon period and lose as much as possible. At 2.5 months, I'm down 52 pounds, which I'm pretty excited about. I do need to start eating a bit more protein, though. I'm at 60, which is where I should be, but need to be at 90 grams in a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to reach that only eating 4 oz at a time.

Does anyone recommend protein bars at this stage? They seem to have a lot of carbs in them.

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/4/17 4:35 pm
I wouldn't recommend fasting during the first few years.

Temporary food allergies after WLS seem to be very common. I'd talk to your doctor.

Scott
Fire_Ice
on 12/5/17 2:52 pm
DS on 10/25/17

I've been wondering if the itching indicates some kind of allergy or intolerance.