Depression Post Op

Casey102
on 10/8/17 6:59 am
DS on 09/19/17

How have you guys dealt with the sadness that comes after surgery? I am two weeks post op but spent a whole week in the hospital and had to have two surgeries days apart due to complications. Once I got home I've been nothing but an emotional wreck. I am not even in that much pain but the discomfort throws me into a whole big crying fit.

larra
on 10/8/17 11:12 am - bay area, CA

In addition to your complications, your body and brain have been thrown for a loop by metabolic and hormonal changes. If you need help for depression, get help. There are lots of good meds available these days, and hopefully this will be temporary, while you recover from the physical and emotional trauma you have been through, and adjust to your new body and new way of life.

Larra

airbender
on 10/8/17 4:13 pm

what you are feeling is normal, having 2 surgeries back to back that close is rough. try to be good to yourself relax, get outside for a little 5-10 min walk if you can. know it will get better!

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Janet P.
on 10/9/17 4:51 am

Perfectly normal. Besides everything medically you've been through (the surgery, complications, etc.) your hormones are already out of whack. Your body needs to heal but you also need to keep moving. Make sure you get up and around. Get dressed. At least once an hour get up and move around. Go outside (if that's easy for you). Keep sipping - that's the absolutely most important thing for you. You must stay hydrated.

I was fortunate that I was already in therapy when I had my DS, so talking through things with a professional was very helpful to me.

It will get better.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 10/10/17 5:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Definitely, speak up about this to your doc. Some people do experience this, and the good news is that it's treatable, but only if you ask for help. It's not a sign of weakness, just your luck is all. Don't suffer needlessly through this. You've got enough other things to work on.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

on 11/27/17 10:35 am
DS on 01/15/13

Wondered how your feeling today?