revision

Sandra N.
on 9/20/17 2:35 am - Grain Valley, MO

has anyone ever heard of a revision 10 year after DS surgery, I have put back on about 35 lbs ?

Janet P.
on 9/20/17 7:08 am

Actually I haven't. Are you 35 pounds heavier than your lowest weight? Are you still malabsorbing? Have you attempted to go back to basics - low carb, high protein & fat, lots of water?

Most of us have some kind of bounce back. Mine was about 20 pounds from my absolute lowest weight (which was too low IMHO).

I'm sure others will chime in.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 9/20/17 9:21 am

Your body, and mine, will always try it's best to get back to it's happy place. Fat. And over time it adapts and absorbs more. Everyone does not get the same DS because we are not metabolically equal. The DS is the best WLS out there but most of us reach the point where we can gain weight. We just have a longer honeymoon period, sometimes even a decade.

I am 15 years out and I have to diet and cut back on food in general. I also don't NEED anywhere close to 100gr protein per day. Those were the good old days and they are gone forever. Sad. Very few of us are bulletproof forever.

Is that where you are? Here's how you can find out. Start tracking every bite of food that goes in your mouth. Track for a couple weeks of normal intake then go back and analyze your results. You may find the reason for the regain and it's usually carbs. Track your activity level too. I just wear a fitbit.

Losing the regain is just the same old thing. Diet and exercise. Some have had good results with IF(intermittent fasting) where you can only eat X hours per day. And others with plain old low carb, high protein. But no matter what you decide to try it's all about eating less and moving more. Chances are after the tracking you will know what needs to be changed.

And BTW I wish the DS came with a weightloss guarantee for life. When you gain X pounds just go in and have it redone. But it doesn't work that way! It would also be great if they figured out a way to keep the stomach from getting bigger. Yup, this is depressing but where would you be right now if you had done nothing?

MajorMom
on 9/20/17 2:55 pm - VA

I have heard of folks needing to go back in for a tweak. Some need to have their stomach tightened up and some get the common channel adjusted. Some might do both.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 9/22/17 12:30 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Some regain should be expected, to the tune of 15-25% of your total weight lost. (divide 35lbs you gained by total you lost initially). If you're within that range, then it's really nothing to be alarmed about. Sure you can diet and fight it, and continue to fight it, or you can relax and enjoy where your body settled. I stopped at 14% regain and have been sitting here effortlessly for several years.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/25/17 9:41 pm
It's unlikely that a doctor would do a revision for a 35 lb weight regain. You should try low carb for a few weeks and the weight should come back off.

Scott
bariatric2017
on 10/27/17 12:37 pm
DS on 12/13/13

Thanks for this post.

I started off at 364 lost down to 198 (after baby) and now am back up to 230 and its driving me crazy. I am so worried about my weight gain, but food is my friend. I am going thru marriage break up and 2 year old baby. I don't know what to do. I have tried reaching out to my surgeon for a revision for the 3rd time but have not been successful getting anyone on the phone. Its like I am just determined to be huge. I need serious help!