Duodenal Switch with Dr. Ponce Tijuana, Mexico Reviews Appreciated

PWS
on 9/18/17 12:57 pm
DS on 12/14/17

Thank You I am always open for recommendations. I am contacting Dr. Esquerra office and getting information.

Thanks,

PattyL

hollykim
on 9/19/17 5:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 18, 2017 at 2:39 PM Pacific Time, PWS wrote:

I am considering having Dr. Ponce in Tijuana, Mexico perform the Duodenal Switch procedure on me. I am looking for reviews of past patience of Dr. Ponce that has had the Duodenal Switch procedure.

Thanks,

Perry S.

dr Ponce was paid to give me a DS 3 years ago. He gave me another surgery instead,a SADI.

I didn't know until a year after surgery when I bagan having complications that are particular to the SADI.

the fact that I had been given a surgery I hadn't asked for was confirmed by a EGD and a barium swallow.

i had to go back to max, to Mexicali bariatrics, used Dr. unison, who is no longer there, and had to pay again for a revision to a correct DS.

I would not recommend Ponce to anyone for ANY surgery.

ibonly now recommend any of the surgeons at MexicalliNariatrics.

they will give you the care you are looking for. I have had three bariatric surgeries in MX and I will only recommend the last group to anyone anymore.

Valerie G.
on 9/19/17 5:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I knew there was a horror story about Ponce, but I didn't know what it was. I'm glad you poked in to share your experience.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PWS
on 9/19/17 11:13 am
DS on 12/14/17

Hollykim,

I am sorry to hear what Dr. Ponce did to you. I do appreciate you sharing. If it is not too personal would you share with me the complication you had after a year with the SADI procedure? Whatever doctor I do end up picking if they bring up the SADI procedure I want to be prepared with questions of possible complications.

Thanks,

Perry S.

hollykim
on 9/19/17 1:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM Pacific Time, PWS wrote:

Hollykim,

I am sorry to hear what Dr. Ponce did to you. I do appreciate you sharing. If it is not too personal would you share with me the complication you had after a year with the SADI procedure? Whatever doctor I do end up picking if they bring up the SADI procedure I want to be prepared with questions of possible complications.

Thanks,

Perry S.

my gastroenterologist told me that the SADI is actually a BilrothII procedure. You can google that. One of the main side effects of this procedure and so also with the SADI is bile reflux. This is different than acid reflux,but just as painful and unhealthy.

I developed bile reflux from the SADI. I was already dealing with acid reflux which can be a side affect of a sleeved stomach,which is the stomach you get with a DS.

i couldn't tell the acid reflux from the bile reflux most of the time so had to treat them both,with pretty poor results,actually.

i just decided I had to get rid of the SADI and get the true DS. I have loved the DS for the couple of years I have had it.

seriously,I have had three levels of care in MX. Good,better and best. Better was the hospital experience with Ponce,excluding the fact that I was given something I didn't ask for.

Best was Mexicalli Bariatrics. I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you have the money to do this,then I sincerely encourage out or do it right the first time. You won't be sorry you did. They give excellent care and are excellent surgeons.

Everyone speaks English on the team. Ponce does not aNd has to use an interpreter.

I am glad to answer any more questions you may have.

I totally don't want to see anyone going to Ponce.

PattyL
on 9/19/17 8:03 pm

It's your nickel and YOU are the boss. YOU say what YOU want! And Esquerra/Wilhelmy do the real thing. Perhaps they might do the other if you asked for it but they are real DS surgeons.

MarinaGirl
on 9/19/17 2:42 pm
On September 18, 2017 at 2:39 PM Pacific Time, PWS wrote:

I am considering having Dr. Ponce in Tijuana, Mexico perform the Duodenal Switch procedure on me. I am looking for reviews of past patience of Dr. Ponce that has had the Duodenal Switch procedure.

Thanks,

Perry S.

You have posted this question multiple times on OH and BariatricFacts.org. Sounds like you had already decided on Dr. Ponce since you did not ask for recommendations on the best standard of care DS surgeon(s) in Mexico but focused on one specific surgeon. Why are you set on Dr. Ponce? And why are you defensive (my perception) to negative feedback about him?

PWS
on 9/21/17 12:38 pm
DS on 12/14/17

I am not set on Dr. Ponce and I am not defensive. I just don't want blind comments from someone. I appreciate fact based comments positive or negative from people that have either experience or have someone they know experienced. But just to say I have heard horror stories about someone and leave it at that does not help. Just my opinion. After hearing the positive experiences from Mexicali Bariatrics Center I have emailed Nina.

Kathy S.
on 9/20/17 12:09 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi PWS,

Here is some additional information on the surgeon everyone was recommending to you for the DS in MX. Let me know if you need anything else.

Antonio Esquerra
Mexicali Bariatric Center
Mexicali
Phone: 888-344-3916

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130