How to keep it secret

impete
on 8/21/17 9:29 am

I had RNY that has just been converted to a DS. I want to keep this private from family and friends but with the restrictions regarding the diet this is not going to go by unnoticed. Any suggestions as to what a good excuse would be for my changed eating program? Any other type of operation that could result in an adjusted diet?

Thanks

chevtow41
on 8/21/17 10:53 am
DS on 11/11/14

Tell them you're trying out low carb diet

NoreenRT
on 8/21/17 5:08 pm - Warner Robins, GA

I've managed to keep my surgery private. My eating is "Atkins- like" or low carb.

i find the less I talk about it the better. Mostly I turn the focus back to the person asking . People love to talk about themselves and will forget the nosey questions if you seem interested in their lives

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/17 9:49 pm
larra
on 8/21/17 6:00 pm - bay area, CA

First, you are not required to answer anyone's nosy, butt-in-ski questions. Unfortunately there are a lot of nosy people out there who think nothing of asking personal questions. Just ask any woman who has been asked about her pregnancy when she wasn't pregnant. You're a guy, you may not have as much experience fending off busybody's as women do.

So, you can either be polite and say something like, "my doctor recommended this", or you can fight rudeness with rudeness and either say something like "how is that your business" or what's it to you" or just give them a silent look. Or, you could try humor, like "I need to get in shape to qualify for the next space flight".

But I am also wondering about the dietary restrictions of which you speak. We can eat protein and fat freely. We can use any cooking method because we absorb so little fat. so you are really just doing low carb, like half the nation.

Larra

QueenBee7
on 8/21/17 8:15 pm, edited 8/21/17 1:15 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Just wondering - was your RNY diet similar to the DS diet? Was that a secret also? If not just say that you are refocusing your efforts on compliance with your previous surgery. If that original surgery was a secret also then I "ditto" the low carb idea. Everyone is restricting their dieting in some way or another these days.

You can even say you've been pre-exposed to diabetes and therefore you're "diabetic dieting" and eating smaller meals. This rationale is to ensure management of your insulin levels to avoid becoming a full blown diabetic.

As a diabetic I use to eat 6 small meals per day - 2/3 hours apart.

Just some ideas to play around with - Ultimately it's your personal business and you shouldn't have to share it if you don't want to.

I wish you much success and welcome to the DS FAMILY!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/17 11:21 pm
PeteA
on 8/22/17 7:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I would just say you are on Atkins. Mostly people don't think to even ask but family can be more nosy.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

impete
on 8/22/17 7:51 am

Small and mushy portions....

PeteA
on 8/22/17 8:06 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Ahh. I didn't think how early out you are. Are you on a Puree stage or just soft foods? Either way if it is just a couple of weeks while you progress I might go with an unspecified stomach problem that the Doc prescribed soft and bland foods. Maybe some story about a diet to see if it resolves heartburn that got worse lately?