Duodenal Switch without stomach modification - Is this possible

QueenBee7
on 8/19/17 6:34 am
DS on 02/04/14

Not sure if I'm asking the question correctly but here it goes:

Has anyone had a revision from the (1) sleeve gastrectomy to the (2) duodenal switch WITHOUT HAVING ANY ADJUSTMENT TO THE STOMACH. Assuming that because you already had a sleeve your stomach was already made small.

If so,

(1) were you able to successfully loose weight?

(2) have you noticed the same or similar results as other DSers?

(3) were you able to reach goal weight?

Experienced DSERS - please correct me if and where I might be wrong. Although I'm technically eight years out - I'm still a newbie - because I spent so many years NONCOMPLIANT and UNCOMMITTED.

I genuinely want to educate myself so I can understand how my body is functioning and responding to my tool.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond.

Valerie G.
on 8/19/17 6:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Absolutely! I believe the majority of revisions from sleeve to DS are done without resleeving. Surgeons only resleeve if it was done incorrectly and is misshapen. Stretching of the sleeve done correctly happens, but n-ot to an unacceptable size. Mine is probably 4x what it started at, but that's only 8-10oz capacity, which is nothing compared to the original stomach size.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

QueenBee7
on 8/19/17 7:08 am
DS on 02/04/14

Thanks Valerie: I only ask this question because my DS was revised and now my common channel is only 120cm. My doctor said it will be difficult to loose weight and that the contributing factor may have to do with the sleeve portion.

He said weight loss come via the sleeve and maintenance via the switch.

Im 3 weeks out and I'm slowlllllly gaining through stalls. I'm exhausted from all the things I'm trying.

i just wish I knew what to do so that I could just do it!!!!

You wisdom and knowledge is always appreciated.

Janet P.
on 8/28/17 9:25 am
On August 19, 2017 at 2:08 PM Pacific Time, QueenBee7 wrote:

Thanks Valerie: I only ask this question because my DS was revised and now my common channel is only 120cm. My doctor said it will be difficult to loose weight and that the contributing factor may have to do with the sleeve portion.

He said weight loss come via the sleeve and maintenance via the switch.

Im 3 weeks out and I'm slowlllllly gaining through stalls. I'm exhausted from all the things I'm trying.

i just wish I knew what to do so that I could just do it!!!!

You wisdom and knowledge is always appreciated.

Take a breath. You just had MAJOR surgery less than a month ago. It's going to take time for your insides to heal and everything to settle down. I hope you didn't expect massive weight loss immediately, because that will not happen. You need to follow the doctor's instructions, keep sipping, and let everything heal.

Focus on protein and fats. Minimize your carb intake and make sure you are getting in your fluids. It's definitely a balancing act but you'll find your way.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

QueenBee7
on 8/28/17 3:27 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Thanks Janet

Its just so different from what I've been use to after my previous bariatric surgery. This time I was progressed to a full diet the day after surgery since I had a jejunojejunostomy. I haven't had any difficulties eating although I've been ver careful with my diet. After a month out I can't loose - I keep creeping up the scale slowly. My carbs are minimized and definitely ONLY consist of complex carbs. I get most of my protein from powder and I average about 150g protein daily.

I maintain an 800 calorie diet and dedicate 600 to protein, 100 to fat and 100 to carbs. Despite taking Amitiza prescribed by Dr. E. I'm still constipated.

I thought getting to goal was the least of my worries.

I see Alex tomorrow for the first time since surgery.

Any additional advice is welcomed.

Valerie G.
on 8/22/17 7:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I know that many who have their sleeve revised to the switch, the loss is slower than those who have a virgin DS. You've had 8 years to get used to eating everything, but now is time to get back on track. Pretend you're brand new, and stick to meat, eggs, cheese and green veggies.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes