Pre-Op Diet MONTHS Before Surgery?

chevtow41
on 8/16/17 2:58 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Sounds like this doctor has been watching too many episodes of " My 600lb life" - he does stuff like this to everyone.

Rainerific
on 8/16/17 3:15 pm

Omg, really? I've never watched My 600 Pound Life. We have basic cable and don't get TLC. I'd hate to think that a highly trained PA would get her ideas from a TV show...

Unfortunately, going through my insurance is the only way I'll ever get this surgery. Paying out of pocket isn't feasible for me.

biggeekgirl
on 8/17/17 1:14 pm

I think the reason is to shrink the liver and Omentum prior to surgery.

The risk of bleeding / cutting those two organs increases with the more fatty foods you have consumed in the recent past.

Some doctors use liquid diets or low calorie to shrink the organs to avoid complications.

I think I've seen videos recently of a doctor that does just the sleeve portion talking about it.

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Rainerific
on 8/26/17 6:59 am

I've found that doing such a low carb diet makes it particularly hard to do low-fat as well. I'm trying but many low-fat foods have a ton more carbs. I stopped doing 20 total carbs. I do 20 net carbs now and can fit vegetables in. Before most of them were just too high in carbs, aside from raw spinach.

I'd like to thank everyone *****sponded to me. I am worried about my liver since I am eating a lot of fatty foods to keep my carb goal in check. Particularly cheeses for quick and easy snacks.