DS FAMILY - I NEED HELP!!!

cchall
on 8/17/17 3:21 pm

Hey I also had the DS and I have a question for Janet P. So do you mean we should eat more fat than usual? I am a little confused about the fat issue. I know we don't absorb alot of fat so we don't have to worry about eating low fat, fat free, right?

thanks,

carol

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/13/17 2:06 pm
I find a bowl of lentils a day works wonders.

I make a pot every week...and have a bowl daily for my late night snack.

Scott
QueenBee7
on 8/13/17 6:36 pm
DS on 02/04/14

You have my attention. Do you mind sharing your recipe. I've never cooked them before. I've bought the soup from a restaurant but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/13/17 8:23 pm
Sure. In use an instant pot.... Literally a miracle device in the kitchen.... But I'm sure you can make this on the stove top it will just take longer

Lentils are very cheap. About 1 dollar per lb. They are usually by the dry beans or in the soup isle. The are full of protein and fiber!

Chop
1 onion
3 carrots
3 celery
Saute in oil with 1 Clove of garlic
Add in 1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of Rotel
6 cups of chicken broth (I generally will use bullion instead... But if I do I cut out the additional salt)
2 cups of lentils
1/2 cup of brown rice
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
(I add in 1 tsp chili powder.... But you can make this very mild... Leave it out. You can also substitute diced tomatoes for the Rotel)

You can make it like this or I like to add in a lb of chicken breast..... Always looking to add in protein.

If I use frozen chicken it is 24 minutes in the instant pot with natural pin release.

Your can serve after the instant pot released all of the pressure. I like to shred the checking and put it on top. Again you can leave out the chicken if you want.

If you don't know what it instant pot is you should Google it, it can be a dsers best friend.

If you cook this on a stove top you will have to add more liquid as it Cooks. I'm guessing it will take a couole hours for the lentils to soften.
QueenBee7
on 8/13/17 8:28 pm, edited 8/13/17 1:28 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Good info - Are you referring to a pressure cooker? I have one of those.....

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/14/17 5:54 am
Yes... The instant pot... Or the magical unicorn rainbow sprinkle producing.....electric pressure cooker.

biggeekgirl
on 8/14/17 5:17 am

Mmmm. I love lentils. I eat them 5-6 times a week.

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie