Day after surgery!

emb317
on 7/18/17 4:21 am

Hi all,

I'm writing this from the hospital - my modified DS (SIPS) surgery by Dr. Roslin at Lenox Hill in NYC was yesterday morning.

Not going to lie, yesterday was rough. The anaesthesia did not agree with me and I was super nauseous on and off from the moment I woke up in the recovery room. I even threw up a few times (which was really not pleasant on my swollen stomach, not to mention pretty gross because I threw up some of the blood in my stomach from the surgery.) I also decided to opt out of the narcotics because I was worried they would make me more nauseated.

The most pain has come from the trapped air so I've been trying to walk around as much as possible, which really does help! I've been taking 1000 mgs of Tynenol as needed as well, which was a big help last night when I was having difficulty sleeping.

Feeling lots better this morning and doctors say is I can drink 4 cups of water on my own and my imaging study looks good, I'll hopefully be going home by this afternoon.

Question: How long did it take until you were feeling significantly better, especially from the trapped air? Hate not feeling like a normal person, haha.

Second question: My left finger tips have been numb and tingling since the surgery. Docs said it's normal since they splay your arms out like an angel while they're doing the surgery, but has anyone else experienced this? Super weird but seem to (very slowly) been getting better.

HW: 267 SW: 259 CW: 254 GW: 125

Height: 5'2" SIPS surgery with Dr. Roslin 7/17/17

biggeekgirl
on 7/18/17 7:33 am

The tingling could be trapped air pressing on nerves? I've never heard this. Glad it's getting better.

The trapped air took 3-4 days to go away. I had it again years later when I had my gallbladder out.

I had a full BPD / DS 12 years ago and was in the hospital for 4 days. The ride home was painful.

It got better and my two week follow up the car ride was no problem.

At two weeks I was cleared to eat soft food and I opened a jar of baby hotdogs and ate one too fast and UGH. It didn't feel good.

Take it one day at a time! Good Luck.

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Valerie G.
on 7/19/17 11:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

For me, it was a good six weeks before I felt like myself again. It wasn't so much the pain as it was the feeling of listlessness. It took forever to shake the anesthesia fog out of my head.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes