Plant Based Protein?

PeteA
on 7/19/17 11:46 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Everything you try should always be backed by your labs. If your protein levels stay up with a plant based diet good for you if they don't be prepared to make some changes. It's only common sense.

I don't fault the quote on it's reasoning about the right level of protein although I do believe there is at least one study showing the protein malabsorption is closer to 50% for the DS.

The problem is the conclusion he draws from his protein first comment regarding vitamins. With the DS the thought that you can get your vitamins strictly from a bigger variety of food is dangerous for a DS patient.

The switch takes away a whole section that used to absorb vitamins. I don't believe you can get all the vitamins you need, especially the fat solubles, from just food and getting enough calcium I think is extremely unlikely.

Again, try what makes sense to you but back it up with the facts regarding vitamin, mineral, and protein levels from blood work. The DS has some unique issues that aren't usually considered when people throw around the generic "weight loss surgeries" reference.

Pete

Pete.

biggeekgirl
on 7/19/17 12:52 pm

For sure.

I see others (RNY folks) are not taking vitamins.

I will never stop that. That'd be crazy.

And I plan on going for labs (which I haven't done this year) in Oct/Nov.

If a plant based diet helps cancer I realize my benefits may not be as great due to my malabsorption.

If a plant based diet helps heart health because it's naturally lower fat I'll really benefit given my malabsorption. And may have to adjust if my HDL goes too low.

I will be watching for issues.

I appreciate your input.

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie