Self pay cost for a conversion from a VSG to a loop DS (SIPS). Doctor advice.

PeteA
on 5/30/17 1:27 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I know there is a SADI/Loop group on FB that I'm a member of. You might try there too - you will probably get a more immediate response but I'm sure more people will chime in here.

While the Loop grew out of the traditional DS you can tell from your research that the surgeries are different. In traditional DS groups there are just not as many Loop people as you might expect.

Pete

PattyL
on 5/30/17 12:59 pm

There are no real pros yet who had SIPS. A pro is usually someone who has been living with the surgery for 10 years or longer. Everyone loves their mate on the honeymoon but it's what comes later that counts. It LOOKS like SIPS may be good for some right now, and probably better than the RNY, but I have also seen people who lost nothing and had to be converted to a 'real' DS. I think there are 2 people on this forum who had this experience.

So you get the surgery that might work or the surgery that works. Your choice. Malabsorbtion is what makes you lose the weight and keep it off. It's a GOOD thing. You have already proved that diets and the sleeve alone didn't work for you. You are metabolically challenged and you need the malabsorbtion the DS will give you.

My CC is 75cm. Probably shorter than yours would be. And I wish mine was shorter because I still have to diet. I have never had a deficiency and I still absorb plenty. You are already on the vitamin bandwagon so you just have to take a few more pills. No big deal. And it beats being fat any day. I can pretty much promise you if I had had SIPS, with more absorbtion, I would be big as a house right now.

If I was going to self pay, I would go to Esquerra in MX. Costs about 14K and he is a top notch surgeon and Alma Mater Hospital is great. He is in Mexicali.

livecity
on 5/30/17 1:43 pm

your right , that's straight talk right there. ;)

I guess taking a few more vitamins isn't really a big deal. My struggle would be getting more protein in my system and going from 60mg to 90-100 as the nutritionist recommends.

I am still looking at pricing different DS surgeons local to me (Philly area), for self pay. Most i am still waiting to hear back as it's hard for them to price conversions. So far it looks like the average cost is $20-$25k. But i've seen some charging $50k which is really expensive, and i am NOT spending that much for surgery. My max would be liek $20-$25k for the conversion.

One thing I am considering is looking at more surgeons across the country, but then I would have to fly there. After my VSG, I will in the hospital for 3 days because of the pain. And then i was in a lot of pain at home for the next 3-5 days. I guess if I decide to fly somewhere, i would have to be holed up in some hotel. I don't really know if I want to do that. But if it's a good vetted surgeon who has positive reviews, and can do it at the right price, then i guess I should consider that option.

I am also considering Mexico, such as Dr. Ungson at the Mexicali bariatric center. Prices seem too good to be true, but i guess I should investigate further and see if this would be a good route for me to save some dollars.

PattyL
on 5/30/17 2:58 pm, edited 5/30/17 8:17 am

Ungson took a government job and Esquerra took over for him. There is one other doc there who does the DS too.

ETA I remembered his name, I think it's Wilhelm

Crazeru
on 5/30/17 2:26 pm

I was more scared of my insulin dependent diabetes than I was of having my guts rearranged with the DS. I take my vitamins in 5 different doses. After 9 yrs it just a habit. I do yearly blood work or more often when necessary. Getting in 30-50 more grams of protein can be easy or just drink a 30 g shake for a snack. Generally, I have no problems eating enough meat, cheese, nuts to cover my 100+. If I feel I'm a little low, I'll have a 30 g protein bar or shake.

In Cali you have Dr K and Dr Rabkin in SF. You may want to email both.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/17 9:04 pm
livecity
on 5/31/17 11:29 am

thanks for the input. I was originally going in the SIPS direction but i don't know anymore. I failed once with weight loss surgery, and i think i really need that malabsorption the true DS provides. But yes your right, i need more vitamins and supplements going this route. I think since im paying out of pocket i would want the surgery that will give me the best chance of being successful this time and i think i may choose the tried and true DS.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/17 7:34 pm
livecity
on 6/1/17 1:35 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I made a decision to go with Dr. Esquerra at the Mexicali Bariatric Center due to all their great reviews. The cost for converting my sleeve to the true DS will be $8500. I can't wait to get it done soon.

PattyL
on 6/3/17 3:05 pm

Best of luck! You made a good choice!