Considering DS

greymare
on 5/17/17 1:45 pm

So how is the loop different from the biliopancreatic diversion with duodenum switch?

What side effects should I ask my surgeon?

larra
on 5/17/17 3:04 pm - bay area, CA

Greymare, I'm sending you a pm as this is getting too involved for here.

Larra

Antame
on 5/15/17 4:45 pm

Thank you! That is the name of the doctor I was referred to!

PeteA
on 5/14/17 2:19 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You may have to look through the archives for people with extensive complications. I have seen a few posts like that but they are pretty rare. A very few long term DS related issues and a few where the problem seemed to be from the actual surgical procedure.

I don't personally fall into either category. Sure there were days early on I wondered if I did the right thing but you learn to balance things out. For me most of the things I considered negatives got left behind the first year ( some I just learned it wasn't that big a problem ). I wouldn't trade the renewed life I have now for anything even when some DS issue seems to bite me. (oil slicks, gas, whatever).

So, some first year downsides:

Is it gas or not? Harder to tell as you getting used to the new you.
I have to go "right now". First 3 months I could never get away with I can hold it for a half hour while I get home.
How will I react to some food I haven't eaten since my DS. Just no telling and worse over the first 6 months the answer can change week to week.
Will this really work? Will I mess it up? If other poeples posts can't convince you the nyou just have to live through it and see for yourself that it works and you can't mess it up that early.
Will I ever get over my constipation? and "will I ever stop having loose stools"? Yes to both but sometimes needs either time or OTC help.
Will I need to change medication XYZ because of malabsorption? Probably not but still needs monitoring because once in a while something will not work quite as well.

Some of the things I remember from year one. All play a more minor role in year 4 if they play any role at all.

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Antame
on 5/15/17 4:59 pm

Pete,

Thank you for the detail. These are exactly some of my concerns. I worry that if the gallbladder is removed I won't be able to eat fats. I've heard I'll never be able to have "fizzy" drinks like Pellegrino with DS. I wonder if medications will be absorbed as easily if I need them - i.e. penicillin, etc. And, I worry that even social (alcohol) drinking is out of the question. Will there be ANY food restrictions long term?

I appreciate your input and I'll continue to surf through the notes here. I am only about 50lbs overweight with a BMI of 31 and several cofactors, i.e., hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes, insulin resistant, high cholesterol. From what I read, DS actually cures or partially cures these disorders. I would love to be off meds.

Thanks again!

PeteA
on 5/16/17 10:51 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Heh. Most of that is just wrong according to my own experience.

A lot of surgeons take the GB out as a routine part of the DS and I don't see those people having any more of a problem with fats. We all work at the beginning to figure out how much is too much.

Fizzy drinks are a RnY thing not really a DS issue. It is an issue early on just because the restriction from the VSG doesn't leave you room for any liquids with your food and sometimes the carbonation bothers people early on but almost everyone gets over that. It wasn't an issue for me after about 6 months post-op. I didn't and still don't have much of a desire for carbonated drinks anymore like I did pre-op.

I had plenty of foot problems going in to the DS and they persisted long after my DS (all gone now) but I had plenty of antibiotics to cover different infections and never had an issue with them working differently. I think most people have the same experience. About the only issue I see is that for particularly powerful antibiotics you should followup with a good probiotic because some people get gas issues.

I have no food restrictions the way I think you are talking about. I came out of surgery lactose intolerant but that went away over the span of year 1. I still have to watch portions on high fat high sugar items but it doesn't stop my from having them occasionally.

I'm sorry you are still having trouble with your diabetes but the DS is your best bet to get rid of at least that problem. Not a 100% "cure" but a large percentage of people get off meds. I was lucky enough to be off my insulin shots by the time I went home from the hospital and still have good numbers today.

Some problems are just bad luck on the genetic level but cholesterol and diabetes seem to be helped for the majority of DS patients.

Pete

Janet P.
on 5/15/17 7:42 am
On May 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM Pacific Time, Antame wrote:

Hello DS Community,

I am new to this site and have enjoyed reading your encouraging posts. I am wondering more about the downsides to DS surgery and its permanance and side effects.

Has anyone regretted the surgery or had extensive complications?

Also, can someone recommend a DS surgeon in the Los Angeles area? (If we are allowed to post that info).

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

I had my DS a little over 14 years ago. I've had a few negative side effects (primarily iron deficiency anemia and osteoporosis). The anemia is temporary and handled with iron infusions. As long as I stay on top of it I'm fine. The osteoporosis is another story. Do I blame it on the DS? Partially. Genetics played a role as did my age and history.

Do I regret having the DS? Absolutely NOT. I was fortunate to have gone to one of the best DS surgeons in the country (Hazim Elariny).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

airbender
on 5/15/17 4:55 pm

welcome aboard,

I have never regretted DS, it gives me a great quality of life. You will have to have follow up, with blood work and take supplements, but that is such a small price to pay for what you get.

Ara Keshishian MD Glendale, CA he is an amazing surgeon and an amazing person

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

David M.
on 5/17/17 2:00 pm - Germantown, OH

Hello,

10 years out, I am still glad I made the choice to have the DS. I am also a nurse, I would say the odor from gas and BM's has been more problematic than I had originally thought.

It is controllable but not avoidable with diet. If you are in an area of nursing like surgery or cath lab etc. and are confined to an area with a group of professionals who are focusing, the gas can be problematic. If your able to walk around etc... not as much.

You must realize that you have to take your supplements daily and eat your protein. It is not an option, you are agreeing to do this. If you don't you will hurt yourself and the reputation of all those who have had weight loss surgeries.

Do your home work and chose the best surgeon that you have access to and stay connected to a support group. Even if it's just checking in from time to time, you will need the advice of some who have gone before you.

Best wishes, David

LIFE IS GOOD !!!

David M.
Antame
on 5/24/17 7:14 pm

UPDATE:

Looks like I'm not a candidate for DS or any WLS for that matter :(

Spoke w Dr. Kershishian's office and the minimum BMI is 35 not 30 as I hoped.

I wish all of you the best. Thank you for your help. Pray I can get this weight off via diet and exercise, I'm not that hopeful.

Hugs, A