Any suggestions on ADHD medications?

andrea0415
on 4/13/17 5:17 pm

I am a 12/2012 DSer, and for the most part, I have been proactive in what medications are prescribed to me. I do research and offer alternatives to my providers if there is an absorption issue with what is prescribed.

I was diagnosed years ago with ADHD inattentive type, and meds were recommended. But, I had recently stopped Fenphen and did not want to take stimulants again.

However, my symptoms are now too much to ignore, especially related to distraction at work. My psych has recommended medicating me, so I was doing my due diligence and researching.

All meds seem to be extended release. Does anyone have a suggestion? An XR or ER but maybe at a higher dose or more often? Another drug?

Thank you!

PeteA
on 4/16/17 9:09 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I have no specifics on meds but just a comment on time release. While generally it is the case that you should avoid time release I've seen a lot of people take time release versions of meds and not have a problem. I think you can't really tell if the absorption will cause a problem for the meds until you try. I would just clue the Doc in that they may not work but than try anything recommended for a time ans check your reaction. Unless someone has specific info for you.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

andrea0415
on 4/16/17 9:10 pm

Thank you, Pete. I will do that.

heidikat72
on 4/27/17 2:38 pm - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

I believe there is still a patch medication on the market - you might want to ask about that since it's transdermal (through the skin) you wouldn't have to worry about malabsorption issues.