Timing questions

megange1
on 4/3/17 12:21 am

Hi-

I'm considering going from a VSG to a full DS. My VSG was 9 years ago, so I'm going to have to be resleeved in an open procedure. I'm worried about how painful this might be. In January I dislocated my knee and had to have major knee surgery. I was given another 3 months off to continue my recovery from knee surgery. So, I have a window of opportunity where I could have my DS surgery as well. My surgeon wants me off crutches before I have surgery, which I'm about 3 weeks away from. At that point, I'll be about 4 months post knee surgery. It is important that I maintain my knee physical therapy though, so I don't lose strength. I normally wouldn't consider doing the DS right away, but my other knee is showing signs of slipping as well, and I have a window off of work that I normally wouldn't have. Both my knee and DS surgeons are aware of my thought, but I was wondering if any people had open procedures and how long it took them to be up and moving. I'd like to be able to continue my knee PT after about 2-4 weeks. Is that a reasonable thought? I just want to do what is best for my body and hopefully avoid having to go through more joint issues. Thank you!

MajorMom
on 4/3/17 2:20 am - VA

Just a personal opinion, I think 4 weeks would be fine if all goes well. Have a plan B. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny