High pth and vit d down to 15!

Janet P.
on 3/27/17 10:23 am
On March 26, 2017 at 4:03 AM Pacific Time, Tufer777 wrote:

Hi friends,

Trying to decipher how much vit d that I can take at a time without having toxicity issues. I've heard some folks use up to 200,000 ius daily until they get into a more normal range.

my endo and PC are not getting the whole ds thing at all. They just keep recommending silly small amounts.

thx!

I've been taking 150K dry D per day, every day for years. My numbers are in the low normal range. You don't have to worry about toxicity with the DS!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Crazeru
on 3/27/17 3:46 pm

My D kept dropping when I was taking 3x/day (150k) during the day with my other vitamins. I started taking in the middle of the night away from food and it came up rapidly. I also take calcium 6/day (now down to 5) so that it helps with the D. You need enough calicum to bring up your D. I'm down to 1-50k of D and 5 doses of calcium.

I also stop taking my vitamins about 3 days before to get a more accurate read. If not my levels can be elevated by over 20. Last D3 was 114, waited 3 days w/o vits and it was 82. My calcium showed high at 10.5 and dropped to 9.4.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Tufer777
on 3/27/17 8:54 pm

Hmmm that is interesting. Never heard the need to get off the vits before checking but it makes some sense I suppose.

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
hollykim
on 3/27/17 4:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 26, 2017 at 4:03 AM Pacific Time, Tufer777 wrote:

Hi friends,

Trying to decipher how much vit d that I can take at a time without having toxicity issues. I've heard some folks use up to 200,000 ius daily until they get into a more normal range.

my endo and PC are not getting the whole ds thing at all. They just keep recommending silly small amounts.

thx!

high PT means your body is leaching calcium from your bones to use in your blood stream,cause there isn't enough in your blood stream to keep your body running.

the higher the PT is, the more is being leached. Since you have been having trouble with getting your calcium in because of constipation,I would suggest you get a gooddaily bowel program going to deal with thyour e constipation so you can get back on the calcium.

my colorectal surgeon surgeon has me take as many stool softeners every night ,as many as it takes,I am up to 8 capsules a night. If I don't have a soft bm by the next night,I am to take a dose of generic Miralax, along with the stool softeners,

good luckin no more than 8 ounces of liquid. More than 8 ounces dilutes it too much.

I do this EVERY night,without fail.

Tufer777
on 3/27/17 8:58 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I really thought I was the only one who had it this bad. Because honestly, everybody talks about the runs more with the DS. I think the magnesium is helping for now. Been taking it twice a day, but am only getting in 1000-1500 calcium citrate daily. Trying to bring it up slowly & not shock my body. I will consider adding stool softeners if this stops working.

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
RhondaJS
on 3/29/17 8:56 am

Hello!

It sounds like you've gotten great advice but I wanted to put in my two cents. I am about to be revised from a vsg but my vit D has been low for almost 10 years. My lowest D level was 10 and my PTH was 3 fold too high. I started taking the biotech dry d3 recommended here every couple of days and that's the ONLY thing that helped. Please don't mess around with a high PTH. In a week, three of my teeth chipped due to this calcium leeching. I have never had issues like that before.

Good luck!

Tufer777
on 3/29/17 10:05 am

Yikes! Thanks very much for your 2 cents. Has your vit d/pth levels returned to normal? Hope so before you get switched and malabsorb even more! I have been taking vitaladys D3 200,000 ius a day. I went to a nutritionist that gave me a shot with 100,000 ius intramuscarly. That's all she was willing to do until she spoke w a surgeon. Which, in turn, led me to have an appt Thursday am, with Dr Keshishian. He is not my surgeon but he is far closer & the perk is that my sister who is suffering from obesity and getting more and more unhealthy is willing to come with me to this appt! ð?' I will update more once I hear from the Dr what was recommended to attempt to reverse this process. I, however, am afraid that my stupidity has already caused me some permanent bone loss- though I've not yet had the dexa scan. More will be revealed. Thank you and God bless you on your journey.

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
Crazeru
on 3/29/17 12:33 pm

You need to get more doses of calcium in also.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda