Has anyone had a bpd-ds revision because of too much malabsorption?

patngin
on 3/5/17 6:59 pm - Nine Mile Falls, WA

Looking at having a revision in my BPD-DS because after 17 years I am not absorbing enough. He said what the revision surgery does is introduce the digestive enzymes further up the intestine so that my food will be better broken down so I will absorb more. Has anyone else had to have this done. I am gradually wasting away. How is this surgery tolerated? Currently have a common channel of 75cm. Is this a dangerous surgery? Any information would be helpful and possibly put my mind at ease a little. Hopefully.

PattyL
on 3/6/17 9:56 am

Not usually bad. Much easier than the DS.

It's not common but it has been done before.

Valerie G.
on 3/6/17 2:16 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've only seen a couple in the last decade, and they both had complications, which makes me wary to be sure it's an absolute last resort. Most who think they may need a revision discover that digestive enzymes for a few months puts them back in control. If you've not tried them yet, I recommend that before going under the knife.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 3/7/17 8:08 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've seen posts from several people over the years that did some kind of revisions to their DS to increase absorption. It seems to have worked out OK for most although it is surgery and I take Val's point to try the enzymes before going under the knife.

You have a pretty early DS and if the revision is the only way then I would go for it. Nothing I've seen from people that aren't absorbing enough says there is an easy way out. Some people seem to be able to do TPN and get back to a point where they can maintain on their own.

Good luck with this - keep us in the loop about how you are doing.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

patngin
on 3/7/17 11:20 am - Nine Mile Falls, WA

Thanks for that I did email the surgeon about the enzymes which I take it is what TPN. Mine has been going on for years pulled myself out in 2007 but now takeing the supplements aren't working. I had an Iron Infusion a month ago and I also underwent Hep C treatment for 12 weeks with the new drugs which also worked. I guess I was hoping that would make a difference. I'm not sure what else the malabsoption has done, I fell last month cause of my clumsiness with the prosthetics not taking enough caution and hit the toilet broke 4 ribs in my back. Seems to be healing nicely.

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 125 views