Any Cons? Side effects? And is it true....

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/17 5:19 pm

I am cleared for surgery but have to decide between just GS or DS. I am leaning toward the DS, but wondering if there are any

common side effects?  Also, is it true you have to take supplements for the rest of your life and if so, what do you all take? And is it true your bowel movements are different/smell different? Sorry if TMI...but it was just something I heard.  From reading all the posts on here I haven't really seen any negative comments or bad effects from having the DS...seems all to be positive!  Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!

PattyL
on 2/17/17 6:40 pm

You will have stinkier poop for life.  But the DS is the one surgery with good results.  You can't find better.  As far as supplements go, look at vitalady.com and get her list.  It is pretty good.  Some of us need more or less, your labs will tell you.  But supplements and a high protein diet are required.

Make sure you are getting a true DS.  Who is your doc?

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/17 7:32 pm

I did bookmark vitalady.com's page! I will definitely do labs and make sure I get the supplements I need!

Dr. Rabkin at Pacific Laparoscopy in San Francisco.

Thanks for the feedback!!

larra
on 2/17/17 7:01 pm - bay area, CA

The vitamins and minerals are a lifetime commitment that you make to yourself, so that you can maintain good nutritional health. They are crucial but not difficult. You get your labs checked and adjust what you are taking as needed. It becomes just another part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth. For the most part, the people who get into nutritional deficiencies are the ones who are noncompliant - there are exceptions, but not many.

More info for you in a pm.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/17 7:23 pm

thank you! I don't mind taking them, won't be a problem!

PattyL
on 2/17/17 10:27 pm

Great choice of surgeon!  You will do fine!

misyoungthang
on 2/18/17 6:10 pm
DS on 06/13/16

I had the GVS 6 years ago and due to some medical problems and gained 60% of my weight back. I had the DS a few months ago and both of them I consider to be a success. There are pros and cons to both. With the DS I have more frequent bowel movement. Not as much as I've read which scared me 5-10 times a day. Many days I don't go at all and other days I may go 4 times. It completely depends on my diet. If I eat sugary foods or high carbs I go to the bathroom more. If I stay lean meat fruit and veggies I don't go much. I eat a salad 5-7 times a week or more. I have more salads with my DS than my GVS because I want to keep the weight off for life and I have to eat healthier since my body only absorbed 60% of what we I eat. Good luck. 

misyoungthang
on 2/18/17 6:13 pm
DS on 06/13/16

I buy my vitimans from Biatric Advantage website. No matter which surgery you have you will have to take vitimans everyday for the rest of your life.

Valerie G.
on 2/21/17 12:39 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Common side effects are stinky gas and poos - both that you have more control than people give us credit for. Knowing what causes these effects and keeping a good supply of probiotics in our guts makes a huge difference here.  Some will say that you will have chronic diarrhea.  The correct term is common soft stools, which are controllable (unlike diarrhea) but different consistency than the good ol fashioned turds you're likely used to.  It's no big deal, really...just a thing.

You will need supplements for life, and your needs will vary from mine.  Vitalady.com has a nice suggestion for new patients and you can adjust according to your lab results.  It's important to take an active role in this, and never accept a nurse saying your levels are "fine" over the phone.  Keep track of them yourself.

Other than that, it's awesome.  I'm 11 years out and loving it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes