DS patients...Azithromycin absorbed? And supplements?

travis1983
on 2/10/17 9:56 am

Hello all. I am 33 and 10 years post op from Mexico. Open honesty I am horrible at the supplement part and have been terrible at keeping up with it. I have tried to contact my old doctor in mexico to no avail.I have also searched online. I have 2 questions

1. With azithromycin tablets what percent do we typically absorb? I have found NO good information. I am currently working overseas and have poor access to medical professionals so no help there.

2. What is the general supplement folks are taking for our post op? I have felt like crap for so long and I know it must be because of non compliance. I am ordering some offline to be delivered in a day or so once  I hopefully can get some clear info. Thanks all

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/10/17 7:55 pm
Hey Travis.

I had surgery 11 years ago. I think there is not going to be any good information about azithromycin and the DS-unfortunately no one wants to do blood work/Poop studies on WLS patients, and I think that is the only real way to determine if things are being absorbed or malabsorbed. My experience is that I do not do well with azithromycin. I have not been sick in years, but when I moved to Texas...I learned that I had "allergies" ...and developed several sinus infections. I tried Z packs and they never worked. Amoxicillin works wonders for me. HOWEVER, I know that others have done well with the Z pack.

For suppliments- you should start with blood work. If you haven't been good with your suppliments and feel like crap you are playing with fire.

I take the following (this is based on MY blood work):

Morning:

Multi (good quality- I know some say it doesn't matter, but it affects the way i feel physically when I buy cheap ones)-I buy vitamin shoppe men's multis
100k IU Dry vitamin A
Super B complex
B-12 sublingual
3 calcium citrates
200 mg zinc
2 Dry E (800 IU)
Magensium citrate

Sometime during the day (sometimes) i take a Heme iron

At night:

Multi
150 IUs o fDry D
1000 IU of dry K
1 Dry K2
3 more calciums
Magnesium citrate

Before bed

Calcium
2 Melatonin
Magnesium oxide (usually 1200 mg)

I also rub sore muscles with magnesium oil. It's a form of magnesium that gets absorbed through the skin.

During the day i eat a lot of protein and normally eat at least 2 protein bars in addition to a high protein food diet. I shoot for 150 mg of protein per day minimum. I also drink a sugar free vitamin C drink (I find it better than the pills- Vitamin C suppliments give me heartburn))

BUT AGAIN- my labs have dictated my suppliments. I started my program 6 months post op when I found Vitalady. She has a site www.vitalady.com and I started to follow her DS suppliment program- it worked for me.
Valerie G.
on 2/11/17 5:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here is the list of labs you need.  Show this to the doc so they know.  Many don't run enough.  You should fill at leat a dozen or more vials for all of this.  Your doc may scoff at some, but insist.  Below that is the codes that they can use for insurance billing.  

For vitamins, Scott has a great regimen, but yours may be different.  Vitalady.com has a suggested regimen for DS patients that is a great start for you, and add extra of what you are significantly deficient in.

Not to be construed as medical advice, this list includes labs we have had performed as gastric bypass patients

* 10231 - comprehensive metabolic profile (sodium, potassium, chloride, glucose,BUN, creatinine, calcium, total protein, albumin, total bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, aspartate aminotransferase)

* 84134 - pre-albumin

* 7600 - lipid profile (cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, chol/HDL ratio)

* 10256 - (hep panel, includes ALT (SPGT) & GGT)

* 593 - LDH

* 718 - phosphorous - inorganic

* 83735 - magnesium

* 905 - uric acid

*7444 - thyroid panel (T3U, T4, FTI, TSH)

* 1759 - hemogram with platelets

* 7573 - iron, TIBC, % sat

* 457 - ferritin

* 945 - zinc

* 921 - vitamin A

* 680 - D (25-hydroxy)

* 4052 - vitamin B-1 (thiamin)

* 84207 - vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine)

* 7065 - B-12 & folate

* 83970 - serum intact PTH

*31789 - homocysteine, cardio  

* 83921 - MMA 

* 367 - cortisol

* 84255 - selenium

For diabetics: *496 - HEMOGLOBIN A1C

DIAGNOSIS CODES:
269.2 hypovitaminosis

244.9 hypothryoidism

268 vitamin D deficiency

250.0 diabetes

401.9 hypertension

276.9 electrolyte and fluid disorders

579.8 calcium malabsorption

579.8 intestinal malabsorption

272.0 hypercholesterolemia

275.40 calcium deficiency

266.2 cyanocobalamin deficiency

280.9 iron-deficiency anemia

269.3 zinc deficiency

281.0 pernicious anemia

281.2 folate deficiency anemia

281.1 other B12 deficiency anemia

285.9 anemia, unspecified  

By preference, do not use *579.3 surgical malabsorption*

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes