Why the DS over other types of surgery?

Km27tx
on 12/27/16 6:08 pm - Azle, TX
DS on 01/30/17

I talked to the doctor and told him I needed to lose the weight fast. He first recommended the gastric bypass. I watched my friend nearly die from complications so I was reluctant. He then talked about the switch and I said OK. I am nervous now and I am seeing that it isn't done as often because most drs don't know how to do them. What has been your experience? Why is this a better option? I guess I need to talk to some patients who have successfully had it done. I am scared this is a big surgery but I need something drastic. Also how long is recovery time? 

larra
on 12/27/16 6:44 pm - bay area, CA

I'm sorry your friend had such a terrible experience and hope she's better now. All bariatric surgery is major surgery and complications can, and do, occur with all bariatric operations, including the supposedly "less invasive" lap band.

The reason I chose the DS and recommend it so strongly is that it has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss (so important!) and for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities. It also allows for the most normal way of eating, allows you to take NSAIDs safely in appropriate doses (they are contraindicated for life with gastric bypass, and even if you don't need them today you may in the future), dumping occurs rarely if ever, there is no list of foods you can never eat again, you can drink liquids with your meals...

The point isn't to lose weight fast, though you will at first. Morbid obesity is a chronic, lifelong disease. You need a treatment that will work for the long haul, not temporarily. We see new people all the time with lap band, sleeve, and even gastric bypass struggling with weight regain despite their best efforts. Revision surgeries are higher risk, esp gastric bypass to DS, and much harder to get covered by insurance. And it's emotionally devastating for people to go through yet another failure after failing diets so many times, as most of us did prior to our surgeries.

The only DS surgeon I would recommend in your state is Dr. Ayoola in Denton. Recovery time varies greatly, but I would say at least 4-6 weeks. You can lower your risks and make recovery easier by doing lots of walking now, breathing exercises, eating healthy etc.

Larra

Km27tx
on 12/27/16 6:54 pm - Azle, TX
DS on 01/30/17

Thank you! This did actually put it into perspective for me. I wasn't looking at it as a treatment for my obesity. My friends are like you are really going to give up carbonation forever? My primary care told me no NSAIDs and took me off of them before he would give the consent. It has been horrible because I have been very ill this last week. The Dr won't give me the steroids that would clear this up. I should have gone to the hospital on Christmas Eve but I physically couldn't get out of bed. My husband finally said screw this and made me take a Naproxen. It helped so much. You have given me good information and thank you! 

hollykim
on 12/28/16 11:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 28, 2016 at 2:54 AM Pacific Time, Km27tx wrote:

Thank you! This did actually put it into perspective for me. I wasn't looking at it as a treatment for my obesity. My friends are like you are really going to give up carbonation forever? My primary care told me no NSAIDs and took me off of them before he would give the consent. It has been horrible because I have been very ill this last week. The Dr won't give me the steroids that would clear this up. I should have gone to the hospital on Christmas Eve but I physically couldn't get out of bed. My husband finally said screw this and made me take a Naproxen. It helped so much. You have given me good information and thank you! 

what were you looking at it as a treatment for?

PattyL
on 12/28/16 2:54 pm

With the DS, there is nothing you have to give up forever.  I chose the DS because it works better than anything else out there.  You are much more likely to lose all the weight and keep it off.

Km27tx
on 12/28/16 8:48 pm - Azle, TX
DS on 01/30/17

Thanks

larra
on 12/28/16 3:22 pm - bay area, CA

Most doctors who are not directly involved with bariatric surgery are ignorant about the different options available and the different needs of patients who have these operations. Of course you should take NSAIDs in the week or so right before your surgery as they interfere with platelet function and therefore can cause bleeding, and again not right after surgery, but after that we can take them safely with the DS, provided we are careful about the dose (as anyone should be). It sounds like your doc meant well but was thinking only in terms of gastric bypass.

I never did like anything carbonated, but my brother, who also had the DS, drinks diet soda all the time without any problems. Of course, for awhile after the surgery, you can barely even drink water, but eventually you would be able to drink soda again. That doesn't mean it's your best choice, but it is a choice, and one of the great things about the DS is that you have so many more choices.

Larra

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/28/16 9:21 pm
I was SMO, my doctor told me I could not have the lap band (which at the time was a very popular surgery) because I wouldn't lose enough...and that my only choices were the RNY or the DS. He recommended the DS because he felt it had better results. Since my surgery-he stopped doing the RNY, preferring surgeries that maintain the pyloric valve.

I chose the DS based on his recommendation and the fact that I wanted to eat normally. I have basically been called a "pig" and "fat shamed"on this forum for saying that...but it's true. I didn't succeed in dieting, and didn't want to diet my entire life. I'm not sure what is so wrong with saying that..everyone on this forum was fat.....and for 10 years I have not been fat...thanks to the DS. BUT I do like to eat...and I still enjoy eating!

I'd look at the posts on this forum going back a few years....and then go ot the RNY forum and Revision forum and do the same. You'll see some trends.......this question is asked over and over again...and there are lots of responses. DSers rarely regain a significant amount of weight.....other surgeries...regain is more problematic.

Scott
hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/28/16 11:24 pm

Being told no NSAIDs is common, because it's a rule for gastric bypass (thank goodness it's not for us). The thing is, you will encounter Drs that are really only familiar with RNY / gastric bypass, and give advice that may not apply when you have the DS. It's not a big deal if you are aware of the DS rules.

And thank goodness the carbonation is also an old wives tale that doesn't actually apply to us either. I was given a flu bug for Christmas, and drinking diet mt dew so I can keep burping is the only thing giving my stomach any relief. 

I'd like to tell you there is less risk with this surgery, but all surgery carries risk. What matters is making sure you have a good surgeon. I looked at it this way - my BMI was 49, I'd been fairly healthy despite being fat but co-morbs were creeping in. I didn't want to live on fistfuls of pills to treat type 2 diabetes, degenerating hips and knees, high bp, high cholesterol, and the myriad of things that were coming along with my PCOS. The risks of staying fat were far outweighing the risk of surgery for me. I now take a groups of vitamins a day instead of prescription pills, which is a great trade off.

Km27tx
on 12/29/16 11:06 pm - Azle, TX
DS on 01/30/17

That was very helpful, thank you!