Does anybody know a good DS surgeon in Maryland?

MissLisa1970
on 12/23/16 3:08 pm

Seriously considering having the DS procedure. I'm totally clueless to where to start or what to expect. I know my insurance covers WLS as i know co-workers that that have had WLS done. They aren't very cooperative on discussing much with me about anything so i'm asking all of you. How long did it take from start to finish before you were able to get to the operating table? Who appeals to the insurance company? you? or the surgeons office? what kind of hoops did you have to jump through etc? any advice and sharing of your experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

larra
on 12/23/16 3:33 pm - bay area, CA

Dr. Elariny (not sure about spelling) in your area does the DS. Not too far away is Dr. Greenbaum in NJ.

If you haven't been denied for surgery yet, it's too soon to get into appeals. It sounds like you are at the step of learning your insurance criteria (dozens of different policiees out there with all sorts of different hoops to jump through) and then having your surgeon submit for pre-approval. How long it takes to get to that point also varies with insurance. So after or while finding your potential surgeon, get a copy of your EOC (evidence of coverage, a long document and not just a summary of benefits) and read their rules for yourself.

Larra

MissLisa1970
on 12/23/16 3:53 pm

Thank you Miss Larra, i appreciate your input. It's all so crazy for me right what with thinking about taking such a drastic step, dealing with my insurance, finding a surgeon etc.. my mind's a wreck. To be quite honest i'm just scared about the whole thing and just wanted to hear some experience on whether insurance was a big obstacle and what hoops had to be jumped through. I'm not good with talking to people so i'm kinda intimidated by it all. If that makes any sense. 

larra
on 12/23/16 4:41 pm - bay area, CA

The more knowledge you have, the less intimidated and scared you will be. Get your EOC and it should tell you what the hoops are, what is covered and what isn't, what your appeals rights are, if any, should you eventually need them, etc. For some people insurance is a huge obstacle, for others it's smooth sailing.

I sent you more info in a pm - check for it!

Larra

-Flo-
on 12/25/16 7:52 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I love Dr. Greenbaum!