Post Op 11 Years and have question

tosham
on 12/22/16 11:59 am

Hi guys, I haven't been here in years, I frequented these boards a lot before I had my surgery but not much since. A little about me, I had my surgery in Jan. of 2006 so almost 11 years ago now. I got all the way down from 355lbs to 142lbs.. I lost over a full person. However I have bipolar disorder and medication can play havoc on my system causing weight gain. Currently I have leveled off at 219 lbs most people may freak out at that sort of weight gain but when I was 142 I was honestly to small and looked quite sickly and my family made sure to tell me such. I was most comfortable at about 165lbs and find that is what I would love to get back too. I have a very large frame and am pretty tall so I am comfortable with some meat on my bones. I however want to do things healthy this time around. When I first had surgery I didn't take my supplements like I should and currently am not doing like I should either. and every time I try to cut my food intake down I have muscle cramps and end up giving up quickly and I want to not do that. I know that the weight loss tool I have with this surgery is a gift and I am blessed by having it and it will be easy for me if I can get past the vitamins part. So with that being said here is my question. Every thing I find online is numbers and amounts of vitamins and protein for someone who is newly post op and has a limited stomach intake ability. I don't and I really don't want to loose my hair again like I did in the past and I already have to have iron infusions so I really want to make sure I get the correct amount and proper supplements. If I could get your input on what I should do. Please keep in mind that I will be working out and doing strength training as well so the need for more protein will be increased. Any advice? Also I am still fairly healthy and I have to say this surgery did save my life. I was young when I had it. and I would not be the person I am if I hadn't of had it. I am thankful everyday for the surgery and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

MajorMom
on 12/22/16 1:36 pm - VA

I think I would start with a full set of labs just to see where you are now. If you'd post those maybe the rest of us could chime in and let you know what we think on the supplement amounts. Some of us don't need to take vitamin A at all but others are having to take 100,000 IUs a day. We're definitely not one-size-fits-all. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

tosham
on 12/22/16 2:41 pm

my doctor does well keeping on track with those and I am fine except for my vitamin D which I do well taking a vitamin D every day that they prescribe for me. Last time they checked which I get my labs drawn every three months. And I see a hematologist every two months who also does labs. so I know I am only deficient currently in the D and I need to keep up on my Iron cause it likes to drop suddenly last time it was fine and then within two months it had tanked. I have a great team of doctors that really keep a close eye on me but I am sure I can do better and I know that the second I try to diet I won't get the same amount of vitamins I am getting now. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/22/16 7:28 pm
Prescription D is basically useless for us. It is oil based. You need to buy the dry version- I get mine online from Vitalady or directly from Biotech. I take 100K IU per day (yes that is 1 0 0, 0 0 0 per DAY...some days I take 150K-3 pills).

I eat a lot...but that is me...i'm a guy, shorter common channel, and recently started excercising again...but I "came back" because over 10 years of eating lots of simple carbs.....I had a 20 lb weight regain (still was maintaining the bulk of my weight loss). I cut the carbs...i had been eating a pint of ice cream a day for years....and processed foods (mostly McDonald's fries)... started excercising again...and drinking more water...and the weight came right off. I'm actually thinking of lowering my "goal weight". 10 years ago when I got to goal...i was looking too drawn in my face...so I stopped my weight loss. But I think my body has adjusted....and I could probably go down another 5 to 10 lbs. At 6'1'' it won't make a difference to anyone else....they didn't even noticed I gained 20 lbs or lost 20 lbs...but i noticed in the way my clothing fit! I'm not actively trying to lose weight, but I am avoiding most processed foods. I find after giving them up...my stomach gets upset when I eat them. I had a McDonald's cheeseburger about a week ago with some fries...and felt bloated for hours after that)
wunderwood1974
on 1/8/17 10:50 pm

Personally I had surgery in December 2006 went from 600lbs to 250lbs. Due to carbs creeping back in I went back up to 360. Since then I have found that living a Keto diet that includes Keto//os I have dropped back down to 315. And have lost 8" in my waist. I am dropping fat not muscle and have more energy then ever before. My numbers are looking better then ever.

K P.
on 12/24/16 6:38 am
DS on 07/08/14

I don't have any advice but am in the same boat with the bipolar. The meds are causing me weight gain as well. I decided I'd rather be the weight I am and happy than depressed and manic like I was before. Best of luck to you.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160