5 yr post DS procedure, they want to do a revision due to low vitamin levels

Donna L.
on 12/2/16 9:56 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I became vitamin deficient on bariatric advantage vitamins and I don't even have the DS, just a sleeve.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

poppybreeze
on 12/8/16 5:25 am
DS on 12/05/14

I follow the vitalady plan but purchase most items from Amazon/Costco. I get my iron from the Vitalday website.

PattyL
on 12/1/16 2:48 pm

You can say no!  This should be a LAST resort, not a first choice.  Have you been on creon/viokase to make you absorb more?  What kind of infusions?  What specifically are you low on?

Dreamgenie84003
on 12/1/16 3:15 pm - American fork, UT

We have been monitoring and trying to adjust the vitamin levels for 3 years, no I haven't tried creon/violate.  I've tried IV infusions with vitamins and trace minerals.  I'm low on vitamins A,D,E,K, IRON, COPPER, ZINC, basically everything. ...

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/1/16 10:04 pm
Those are not the hardest to fix. ...B vits tend to be the hardest...sometimes Iron.

BTW the patch vitamins get mixed reviews. They work for some people and not for others. I'd recommend starting with good oral supplementation first. You can add the patches on top of that.

Scott
Dreamgenie84003
on 12/1/16 10:11 pm - American fork, UT

Surprisingly, my b vites are very high...I drink a 5 hour energy drink every day....and my iron isn't horribly low.   I think you are right, I need to increase my oral vitamins significantly, I'm liking at vitalady but the sad thing is I just ordered more bariatric advantage ones.  I just need to get to pay day and I can try out vitalady.

Valerie G.
on 12/2/16 4:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You can gain control of this, but it's going to require taking the bull by the horns, and probably taking more than any medical professional in your area will recommend.  There's a nurse at my doc's office that has a fit at how much D I take, but my doc reassures her that it's normal for me.  She still disagrees, but labs don't lie.

I ditto the creon recommendation to help increase your absorption while you beef up on other vitamins.  You can get the dry A, D, E and K seperately on Amazon.  Biotech is the brand, and you want mega-doses.  Do NOT be afraid.  You can take them in addition to your BA vitamins.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dior1805
on 12/6/16 2:37 pm

Oh no!! I am sorry to hear that! I actually had a similar experience post DS. I thought I was doing well, I lost all of the weight I needed to and was feeling fine SO I slacked on getting my labs done as regularly as I should have (not smart). 

All of the sudden( I was about 3.5 years out of my surgery), I was required to get full panel labs done for a needed surgery (not weight loss related), and found out that I was low in iron, potassium, B vitamins, and vitamin D. I was shocked! The doctors tried to prescribe some meds but they really didn't help that much. I tried to just blindly increase my vitamin intake but that didn't help that much either. 

After consulting further with my doctor and a separate dietician, they both advised that I concentrate on making myself all around healthier and work on nutrition on a holistic basis. I couldn't believe it, but after a month of taking their recommended products, all of my nutritional levels normalized, my energy increased dramatically, my skin cleared up, and my bloated feeling went away ( I didn't even know that anything beyond my vitamin levels was wrong with me- I got used to feeling the way that I did). 

Anyway, I loved the products so much that I became a distributor and have my entire family on them. It really was a blessing. I don't know what the rules are on this forum and I am not trying to sell anything. If you would like to know more specifically, PM me. I still take some of the recommended vitamins for post DS but I was able to decrease the amount dramatically. 

Either way, just keep your chin up and definitely try to work on your level any way that helps you the most and stay on top of your labs! It is great that you are being proactive about your health. I would definitely hope that a revision would not be necessary. I know that weight loss surgery has been a true blessing to so many of us!

Good Luck to you! :)

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/6/16 5:45 pm
Just a quick question...why can't these products be posted in the open forum?

Scott
piper
on 2/16/17 4:11 pm

I would like to hear about the vitamins that helped you so much. Would you PM me with the info? Thanks so much.