15 Months Post-Op

cantstalkthis
on 11/17/16 3:02 am

I haven't been on here in over a year. There were some really catty comments and I decided to walk away. I'm back because I think that the accountability of the bites...  threads will be good for me. Trying to figure out how to get online trackers to properly track my intake requires a PhD in astrophysics and the blood of a Virgin. 

On a social note, my life has completely changed since surgery. I am around 240lbs and I was 453 on surgery day and 476 is the highest number that I ever saw on the scale. I'm still getting used to being hit on (no more psycho husband) and other little things. 

I know that it's time to get serious with myself because I am having "the oil thing" where oil exits will gas or just with very little warning/urgency. It seems like it's stress related but (oddly enough) when I'm eating enough fat to have this issue, weight starts dropping. If I don't eat enough, I stop losing. I actually drink soda (not a recommendation to anyone else) because I lose weight with the calories in. To be fair, my surgery was related to the wonky metabolism and begin unable to lose weight on any diet. So, I think that this is a "me" thing. 

I want to be able to stay at my boyfriend's overnight with certainty that I'm not going to ruin the sheets and (dear God) have to explain what happened BUT I also have at least 45 lbs to go. 

Suggestions? 

I have exercise limitations due to spinal injuries, so that's really the hardest part. If I do lifting (moving for example) I gain a few pounds and fit in smaller clothes. I think that is my best advice for people who are just getting started - as soon as you are able to, lift weights. Cardio is meh but weight training is huge. 

ILoveFlowers
on 11/17/16 6:48 am

I'm glad you're back.  I know where you're coming from with the whole catty comments remark.  I've been a victim too.  Have you tried the wheelchair exercises?  They're for people who have mobility issues.  Where I live, there's a 30 minute show every morning on PBS.  You might check it out.

hollykim
on 11/17/16 12:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 17, 2016 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, cantstalkthis wrote:

I haven't been on here in over a year. There were some really catty comments and I decided to walk away. I'm back because I think that the accountability of the bites...  threads will be good for me. Trying to figure out how to get online trackers to properly track my intake requires a PhD in astrophysics and the blood of a Virgin. 

On a social note, my life has completely changed since surgery. I am around 240lbs and I was 453 on surgery day and 476 is the highest number that I ever saw on the scale. I'm still getting used to being hit on (no more psycho husband) and other little things. 

I know that it's time to get serious with myself because I am having "the oil thing" where oil exits will gas or just with very little warning/urgency. It seems like it's stress related but (oddly enough) when I'm eating enough fat to have this issue, weight starts dropping. If I don't eat enough, I stop losing. I actually drink soda (not a recommendation to anyone else) because I lose weight with the calories in. To be fair, my surgery was related to the wonky metabolism and begin unable to lose weight on any diet. So, I think that this is a "me" thing. 

I want to be able to stay at my boyfriend's overnight with certainty that I'm not going to ruin the sheets and (dear God) have to explain what happened BUT I also have at least 45 lbs to go. 

Suggestions? 

I have exercise limitations due to spinal injuries, so that's really the hardest part. If I do lifting (moving for example) I gain a few pounds and fit in smaller clothes. I think that is my best advice for people who are just getting started - as soon as you are able to, lift weights. Cardio is meh but weight training is huge. 

carbs sugar and artificial sweeteners cause loose stools for me. If I stay off those things I have no trouble with loose stool.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/17/16 7:46 pm
The oily stools are a direct result of too much fat. Typically it's a combo of something really fatty with protein (i.e. tuna with Mayo gets me every time).

You may want to add in some high fiber foods. I have started eating Chia seed pudding, Atkins bars, and Low carb tortillas. I actually have to take magnesium oxide in order to keep things moving.

The soda thing....I'd recommend against it. I have had 1 rule for a decade...don't drink my calories. It may not affect you now, but in a few years...you'll thank me if you can get off the sugary drinks .

Weight lifting is a better form of exercise than cardio . Try super sets (look them up online)...it's kind of the best of both worlds.

Scott
Kathy S.
on 11/18/16 10:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I didn't have the DS but wanted to welcome you back and give you a hug for all you have been through.  Get back to the basics of your surgery and don't leave, the support is so important.  If there are certain members you don't want to see their posts use the block feature we have provided.  Anything that violates the Terms of Services, report it for our review 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130