Regain..help!!

jrubedjmp3
on 7/2/16 2:19 pm

Hey guys!

So I'm struggling. I was 450 in 2009. In 2012 I was 180. I'm now 225. 

I went back to protein and no carbs. Is it possible to eat too many calories even with just protein? 

I am confused. Do I do a shake diet? Weigh****chers? Can I just eat my face off with zero carbs?

I'm definitely nervous, tired, confused and desperate for someone who had a regain and turned it around to offer some help.

Thanks!

larra
on 7/2/16 5:37 pm - bay area, CA

I think you are already on the right track. Ditch the carbs, focus on protein, and whatever fat happens to come along with the protein. You can use protein shakes but you don't have to, IMHO. I doubt Weigh****chers will be helpful - the point system really wouldn't apply to us with our malabsorption. I also doubt you can eat too much protein (though opinions may differ here) because we only absorb 40 - 60% of the protein we consume.

Carbs, sadly, are well absorbed, so that's what you need to limit. I've seen other people here with regain lose significant amounts of weight this way. It won't be quick, but it will happen. And adding in a little exercise will help as well, though exercise alone won't get you where you want to be.

And keep in mind that even at 225, you are literally half the size you once were, so you have made great improvement in your health and quality of life. don't give up now!

Larra

Valerie G.
on 7/5/16 4:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What Larra said.  Some have also had results with intermittent fasting, too, but hopefully you'll see the change putting your carbs back in check.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 7/6/16 10:28 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm one of those people that thinks you can eat too much protein although it has to be a lot. My best idea for you is to track everything
you are eating using something like MyFItnessPal or something like WW. While the points system on WW isn't strictly applicable I fond that if I can pinpoint my point overages to protein it's at least a guideline. The emphasis on tracking and accountability every week are the more important parts of the program for me.

If you are tracking protein and you are up above 170 gms a day your portion sizes probably need to come down. 

You can also use Gina's Vites and Bites post for some accountability and some positive feedback and suggestions on what you are doing.

I'm 3 years out and this past winter taught me that it can be easy to lose track of how you should really be doing your meals and exercise. I've been taking a different tack this spring and summer with MFP and occasionally WW along with more exercise that seems to be doing well for me so far. (down 9 lbs) from my post winter high.

Pete

Britt U.
on 7/17/16 10:06 pm - Mill Creek, WA

You need fat and protein, both are necessary to be healthy, for fat loss, and for satiety. You might check out Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore or his podcast. I'm using Carb Nite to lose my regain but I haven't revised to DS yet, I only have a sleeve, but you might want to be careful. Keto eating is super easy after the third day. It's just a way of living for me. There is something called a keto calculator you can google that will help you find the right balance of protein, carbs, fat and calories. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well it works. I use my fitness pal to track since I'm working w my doctor to get the regain off.

Britt U.
on 7/17/16 10:09 pm - Mill Creek, WA

Forgot to mention I intermittent fast too. I don't eat breakfast, just coffee w cream.

i also just listened to a doctor speak saying you must have 30'gram protein per meal otherwise you don't have enough to sustain muscle tissue, it probably needs to be higher with a DS.

Most Active