If doing low carb ( under 20 grams/day) how much [good] fat and protein??

Derek H.
on 3/29/16 3:50 pm

I've been  a DSer for the past 7 years. I'm needing to drop 60 lbs still. I've heard people say on this forum and on Keto sites to stay under 20 carbs a day. I'm doing this by eating raw greens ( dropped ALL grains, refined and whole).

thats great... But what about my protein and good fat levels

ln past I was told told stay at 100 to 120 grams of protein a day. 

BUT...in doing research, I've read too much protein is not good.

Also fats????

for Keto, I've seen numbers as high as 80% of daily intake. 

What are your guys thoughts and experiences??

hollykim
on 3/29/16 5:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 29, 2016 at 10:50 PM Pacific Time, Derek H. wrote:

I've been  a DSer for the past 7 years. I'm needing to drop 60 lbs still. I've heard people say on this forum and on Keto sites to stay under 20 carbs a day. I'm doing this by eating raw greens ( dropped ALL grains, refined and whole).

thats great... But what about my protein and good fat levels

ln past I was told told stay at 100 to 120 grams of protein a day. 

BUT...in doing research, I've read too much protein is not good.

Also fats????

for Keto, I've seen numbers as high as 80% of daily intake. 

What are your guys thoughts and experiences??

there is no limit on protein and good fats as we maladies a good bit of them.we absorb 100% of carbs we eat so good on getting rid of them.  Forget calories. 

PattyL
on 3/30/16 4:27 pm

Other than carbs, eat what you want.

No need to make this complicated.

Cindy W.
on 3/8/18 7:27 am

That is one of the smartest things I've heard yet on DS. "Other than carbs, wat what I want. No need to make this complicated". I'm 7 years out and need to lose a bit and struggling with how to do that. This is great advice!

Brandy G.
on 4/2/16 3:49 pm
DS on 08/20/14

I discovered during my honeymoon year that if I ate less that 50 g carbs I would stall.   I counted all carbs, not just net, but if it got too low, no weight loss that week.   I ended up shooting for around 70 g carbs a day for maximum weight loss.  I typically used the carbs for fruit.  I don't know if this would be true for somebody not in the year following their surgery, but it's certainly something to watch out for.

Good luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Britt U.
on 7/2/16 10:37 pm - Mill Creek, WA

Google keto calculator. It depends on your lean mass. I'm 30 carb, 80 protein, 90 fat. I track on MFP.

Most Active