What's the Timing and Range for Bounce Back Weight?

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/16 2:11 pm

I'm about a year and 5 months post op, and gained about 10 lbs since Xmas eating a normal person diet including carbs and sugar. Just before Xmas, at a year post op, I had lost all the weight and another 30 so I'm playing with house money right now.

I have no concerns about my current weight but I don't want 10lbs of weight gain now to become 50 over time. Can people offer their experience with timing and amount of bounce back weight?

Thx

MajorMom
on 3/27/16 4:48 pm - VA

I've seen or heard about anywhere between 3 and 6 years but I think they are talking about a little regain. Bounce back was explained to me as the 3 to 6 pounds you bounce back up from your very lowest weight during the first year or two. Regain is more insidious and sneaks up on you a little at a time over a few months.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/16 8:18 pm

Thanks. I was under the impression that people gained back about 10% of the weight lost after 18 to 24 months.

I might be wrong in my understanding of bounce back weight. My weight gain was from an unhealthy low weight so it was needed but I'm not sure where it goes from here.

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/3/16 11:10 am
10 percent is what I've always heard, I think the research backs up similar numbers. The time table varies, I didn't have any bounce bac****il 5 or 6 years out.
Pianolover
on 3/29/16 7:34 am

I offer no advice since I am in the same boat...I am a little over one year out and lost to a weight below what I wanted. Found out that I gained back 5 pounds in the last month which is kind of welcomed but I don't want 5 pounds to become 50! Update every so often on your experience, I need to compare notes with you!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

2renee
on 3/30/16 5:30 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

I would urge you to go back to tracking your food intake to stop the bad habits that have already started to take root.  It is amazing how complacent we become and we lie to ourselves about what we eat.  Maybe not on purpose but still we lie.   time for a reality check.

Valerie G.
on 4/5/16 4:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The averages I've heard for bounceback are more liberal at 15-25%, which in still isn't bad.  I experienced my first bit of bounceback 2-3 years post op.  Today, a decade postop, I'm about 15% and not complaining much.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/16 11:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have no complaints but just surprised at the wide range of ways different peoples bodies respond to WLS, and particularly the DS.

I had an appt with a PS the other day for a fat injection into my face with has become very gaunt after all the weight loss. He told me I was one of 2 or 3 people he had seen in the past 25 years that didn't have a single once of fat on my body, so he could not do the injection. Again no complaints, but it's an odd place tot be after being morbidly obese for so many years.

Most Active