HELP! Worried about surgery

butterfly13
on 3/16/16 4:14 pm
Revision on 04/06/16

Thanks for your help with this! I did consider going out of country and actually know a few other people who have done it, but I am a nurse and I think that knowing quite a bit about the medical world - it made me a little too nervous not knowing what their health standards are and practices and also the thought of having any type of complications from surgery and being out of the country scares me!!!! Sooooooo I guess for me the 50K is an investment of peace of mind of being in the USA if anything happens and peace of mind with the medical world. Probably just the nurse in me! :) 

It is defiantly a shame about the lap band!!! I cannot believe how many medical professionals are telling me how common this is - I guess they see it all the time and it makes me sad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this surgery is going to be a success for me for the rest of my life. It's very drastic and extreme and I want to make sure that it's not a decision that will haunt me for the rest of my life like the lap band has for the last 5 years. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/16 5:17 pm

I completely understand your concerns about complications out of the country along with needing to find a local DR for follow up. I was also in the medical field and would like to say the standards of care in many foreign hospitals far exceed those in the US. Certainly so as the care here slips further and further. I am not saying this to change your mind. You must do what you are comfortable with but perhaps to inform others who may not be able handle the cost of surgery in the US. People for whom it is go abroad or not get the surgery. I wish you all good luck with your surgery and hope you can find it close to home.

-Flo-
on 3/16/16 3:38 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Or check out Dr. Greenbaum in NJ. He charges 21k and it includes 3 nights in the hospital. I was just quoted that week. 

Most Active