wow the pain

alishak
on 2/28/16 5:09 pm

Had my surgery on the 23rd this Tuesday I cannot believe how much pain I'm in and I think it's mostly gas pain I've been up and walking every couple hours doing laps in my house. My gas pain is so bad that I don't want to eat or swallow any water or anything. I have been eating little bit of broth sugar free popsicles Atkins shakes. My hospital stay and recovery has been difficult I don't know if that's normal my incision is like 10 inches long but I came home last night on the fifth day and actually slept ok for once. My doctor said I can eat eggs mashed potatoes plain yogurt with a little bit of blended up fruit protein shakes oatmeal and the usual liquid diet stuff. But he didn't say anything about taking Gas X or something for the gas pains but I am in the worst pain that and sometimes I'm not even able to pass gas which is incredibly annoying. I'm not on any antibiotics I'm just taking pain meds potassium pills heartburn and they gave me a bunch of shots to give myself for blood clots and that's pretty much it but I made it out and I think I'm getting better everyday at this point I'm so tired I don't even  know. I hope this pain doesn't last for weeks and weeks

Brandy G.
on 2/28/16 5:20 pm
DS on 08/20/14

I'm sorry you are in pain but I do have some suggestions.

Atkins often has sugar alcohols which almost all DS people can not eat pretty much any at all without the bloats.   I would not be eating mashed potatoes or yogurt or fruit yet either.  Mexicali they gave us broth, chamomile tea and sugar free gator aid and that was it for a few days and then we could do the clear liquid diet.  If I was having issues, I would roll back to broth only days.  I had a lot of those in the beginning. 

Gas X never worked for me.  Time and walking and squirming into different positions sometimes would.  The gas is going to try and float in what ever part of the digestive system that it is in, so you can imagine the kinds of positions that help send it towards the escape hatch.  Sleep if you can.

For now just remember it is all about liquid intake and then maybe think about protein, but leave everything else for another day.

Good luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

NoreenRT
on 2/28/16 6:19 pm - Warner Robins, GA

First, let me congratulate you on wanting a better, more healthy life. Welcome to the looser's bench.  You're only a week out from surgery, so your new designer insides are all angry and swollen right now. Walkin, and drinking are most important, not food.

if you can eat, soft scrambled eggs are good. Broth, egg drop soup are also good. Oatmeal would have (still does) have killed my gut. Like Brandy says, watch those sugar alcohols, they're  murder on so many new DSers. Read labels. Go easy on the lactose too. I couldn't do dairy until many months down the road.

hope you resolve you gas issues. GasX never did anything for me either.

Hugs.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/16 9:47 pm

I agree with the others and congrats on the surgery. I have gas pains occasionally at 15 months out, and it's always a result of not so gre3at food choices. I find that exercise (walking if fine) and if lying down then squirming around help. Usually it goes away in a few hours and converts to actually gas followed by a bowl movement. After that, I'm fine and a litter wiser about food choices.

MajorMom
on 2/29/16 2:13 am - VA

Welcome to the dark side!  I hope you start feeling better soon...really soon. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

chevtow41
on 3/1/16 7:04 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Potatoes, fruit, oatmeal are all a great way to give yourself gas. Also Atkins and sugar free stuff can irritate some people. I'd stick to the broth and eggs is you can. Also try another kind of protein shake - everyone has different experiences with them. I'd try the Gas-X as well but I bet if you cut out the carbs you'll start feeling better.

alishak
on 3/2/16 7:25 am

I cut out the dairy cuz i found the dairy was giving me bad bad cramping diarrhea at night. And found some nroths that are ok. But ive been still having pains like now. It feels like my upper abdomen in the middle is bloaded and tight and has some pain. And last night before i went to bed i took my pills and all i feel is pain when i drink something. Like my stomach cant hold it. And now i have that blooded feeling. I havent been passing gas. But i have been having bms. I want to go to the store and get some dairy free protien. Or maybe i can try the lactose pills. I really dont understand how they want me to have jello and popsicles if u cant have sugar. But uet dont want u to eat artificial sweeteners.  I tried eggs yesterday but only a couple small bites cuz it just felt too solid to me and it freaked me out. It sucks. Im hoping this phase ends soon. My husband goes back to work next tuesday i will be 2 weeks out. Im hoping i am more self sufficiant by then. I have a super active 3 year old. But for right now im mostly worried about that weird stomach bloating pain. And finding something to eat that doesnt give me to much gas or cramping poops. 

ChristyO
on 3/2/16 9:49 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I've had really bad gas ever since I had the are RNY on February 1st, I had to get up last night and take Beano, a pill for gas you get it over the counter I would have somebody pick that up for you right away and start taking it daily I've learned it doesn't pay to think well maybe as the hours go by it will get better because it doesn't I truly recommend Beano

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

alishak
on 3/2/16 10:58 am

Ill ask the dr. He didnt want me taking any gas x. Im getting so frustrated trying to find something to eat. The egg seems to be ok. But i dont feel super safe cuz its kind of solid. And broths soups arnt very good. Trying to find a protein drink or powder to start that wont make me sick and also isnt super expensive and that i can buy in a reg store. 

Brandy G.
on 3/11/16 10:59 am
DS on 08/20/14

Hopefully you will have it easier than me, but what you are describing was pretty much normal for my first three months.   And even when I did find things my body wanted, it didn't mean that my body would ever want that food again. 

The only protein drink I could deal with for the first month or two was called "Oh Yeah!" and I bought it at the grocery store.  I can't remember how expensive it was, but probably not cheap.  But for these first few months, you just gotta do what you gotta do.   30 grams of protein  a day for the first month and sixty for next and 90 after that.  If you want to keep your hair, you will find a way.  I'm not sure I would worry about money spent on protein during this first phase, you will likely be able to change to something else later. 

I know it sucks, months 4 through 6 are still rough, but much easier.  Months 7 through the end of your honeymoon are simple, you will know what to do when, but still not easy.  I just switched to the maintenance mode, and so far it's been a blast, easily making up for the hell of the post-surgery period.  You are paying it forward, there isn't much you can do but do it.

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Most Active