questions and more questions

Brandilynn230
on 1/1/16 12:07 am

Okay so I am 4 days after surgery. I had the DS performed and am super sore still!  But i am trying to wean myself off of the big pain meds. I have some questions. 

As of now I am required to take a scoop of powder vitamins provided by my doctors office three times a day. This is already becoming imposslible and makes me gag just thinking about. I know I have a few weeks until I can take the actual vitamins but i was curious as to what vitamins everyone else who has had the DS done? I know my Doc office is only going to suggest their brand, but there are other brands out there that work better or just as well? 

different phases of diets? Right now I'm on "phase one" post op diet which is all liquids. I did 4 weeks all liquids before the surgery as well, so I am dying for actual food! I know I can do it but as far as phase 2 can someone tell me what a sample menu for that might be so I know what I can look forward to? lol 

I am still recovering and adjusting to this new life style but tonight was New years eve and I really am saying new year new me and MEANING IT THIS TIME! HAPPY NEW YEARS and thank you in advance. 

cross posted.

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

MajorMom
on 1/1/16 2:59 am - VA

I've taken vitamins in capsule form from the very beginning and had no issues. At first the dietitian said chewables but she let me go straight to capsules because the chewables hurt my teeth due to sensitivity. I used Vita4Life capsules at first but my labs tanked. Dr let me go on Vitalady's vitamin plan and I aced the labs at 1 year post-op.

Here's what we're told to be taking by 5 days post-op and by 4 weeks post-op. Quantities vary depending on the surgery type and initial labs but this is schedule is in the manual.

5-days out:
chewable multivitamins (not gummy) complete with iron
sublingual vitamin B12
sublingual or dry capsule vitamin D3
sublingual or capsule vitamin A (palmitate)
others based on your initial labs

4 weeks out:
multivitamin complete w/iron
sublingual vitamin B12
dry capsule vitamin D3
dry capsule vitamin A (palmitate)
calcium citrate 500mg at a time
carbonyl iron separate from all other vitamins but vitamin C
others based on labs

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MajorMom
on 1/1/16 3:12 am - VA

Again in our manual, stages of food progression:

Stage One: Clear liquids (first 4 days post-op)
Stage Two: Full liquids (second 4 days post-op)--sugar free, non-cabonated, decaf drinks you cannot see through, protein shakes, strained soups, egg drop soup, sugar free pudding (be aware lactose intolerance at this stage, use Lactaid milk)
Stage Three: Pureed Foods (3d 4 days post-op)--anything the consistency of apple sauce
Stage Four: Soft Foods (by 2 weeks post-op)--hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, shrimp, crab, deli meats, soft cheeses, well cooked soft green veggies
Stage Five: Regular foods as you are able. Go slowly. No more than 2 new foods per day and spread apart by 6 hours.

I have the whole manual, private message me with your email and I'll send it to you.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/16 5:19 am

First congrats on your surgery. Things start out a little rough but get much better over the next months.

I had surgery last Nov (down 150lbs), and did not take any vitamins or supplements the first 2 weeks. I thought that was standard procedure.

Starting day 4, I added runny mashed potatoes and spoonfuls of chicken broth as gravy for what may have been the best meal of my life. 

The protein powder is aweful so use less of it and get down what you can stand. Eventually I switched to protein pills sold at the Vitamin Store.

Brandilynn230
on 1/1/16 11:06 am

Thank you all! I am honestly so confused by the whole vitamin process. I want to do it correctly, but am really not sure where to start. I talked to some people who said they just take 10 chewable one a day vitamins a day and probiotics and that is all, and i think that this couldn't be right? I just don't want to hinder my weight loss or hurt myself. But the vitamin regiment provided by my doctors office seems way to expensive for as hard as it is to choke down.

Right now I am taking

vitamin powder 3 times a day (doesn't dissolve, this is the worst part)

Probiotic once a day

omezaprole twice a day for gallstones (just for 90 days after surgery)

B12 once a day

there are some other things but they are preventative and i only take them for a week after surgery 

Thank you,

Brandi Manis 

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

PattyL
on 1/1/16 3:03 pm

Just take the pills and don't even worry about it.  I would wait a week or so before I got serious about vites.  But I started taking all my pills at 5 days post.  One at a time and slowly.  Chances are the stuff the office sold you is pretty worthless anyway.  Check out vitalady's DS regimen and compare.

Pianolover
on 1/2/16 12:54 pm

i've used the chewable (chalky) flinstones vitamins since surgery. I believe i started taking them one week post surgery...you just chew them very finely and your saliva helps break it down in your mouth, follow with a little water. no need to wait weeks to start taking vitamins.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Most Active