Im nervous about gettIng the DS

cassie333
on 12/30/15 5:36 pm

im scheduled for a revisionist n from lap band t DS on Jan 18th.

im nervous about this and need support.

will i be on the toilet endlessly? I know someone who is.

what is it like the first year ? 

I need some friends who have been through this

NoreenRT
on 12/30/15 6:14 pm, edited 12/30/15 10:15 am - Warner Robins, GA

Hi Cassie. I see that you are an Abington patient w/ Dr. G. You are in good hands. He is excellent. Dr. Bonanni did my DS in 2009.

The first year for me was an amazing ride. My weight loss was slow but steady. It took me 2 years to loose 200#s and I am fine with that.

have you attended any support meetings? I met some wonderful DSers who helped me a lot and recommended this site. 

You will want to read, read, read. Go to DSfacts.com. There is a lot great info there. Even though the bariatric program is wonderful at Abington, their nutrition standards for us is all wrong. Poor Nut, she just can't undo her education to understand we need protein and  fat first, not fruits and veggies.

As for the bathroom issues, everyone is different. Some are constipated, some, the complete opposite.  Your new designer insides are going to be very angry at first so for me even the slightest carb would send me to the toilet. You learn to read your body and what is good or bad for it. Remember, you can't go wrong with protein.

Good luck with your surgery, you are to be commended that you decided to take charge of your life and get healthy.

Hugs.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

cassie333
on 12/30/15 7:38 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.  This means so much to me.  Im most worried about what to expect from my new insides.  Will carbs forever bother me.  Have heard horror bathroom tales about frquency, gas and diarrhea. 

What is it like for you now?

how do you handle the vitamins 

it sounds like you feel fit and healthy! 

Hugs back!

NoreenRT
on 12/31/15 2:41 am - Warner Robins, GA

What's it like for me now? I allow myself time in the morning for my 2 trips to the bathroom. I'm a double tasker, I tend to make my to-do lists, review work schedules, read, whatever while spending my time in the loo. Then, I'm done for,the day. Rarely, will I have to poop after that,but everyone is different. My first 6 - 9 months was rough. Sometimes it was 7 trips to the bathroom before my body was empty.

As for vitamins, go to Vitalady.com. She has a great vitamin schedule. You will adapt what your body needs from your lab work. Dr. G's office is fantastic about that. Every 6 months, full panel.

Listen to your body. Listen to the advice from veteran DSers. I can't tell you how many times, including this week how they have helped me.

I remembered thinking, "This is too much to handle. 30-60-90 rule, vitamins, protein first, hydrate constantly, etc." but it becomes part of your life , and the pay off is SO, SO worth it. The first time you can fit into a booth at a restaurant, or the Doc no longer needs the obese cuff to take your BP, feels fantastic. It's the little makers along the way that for me really hit home how powerful this surgery is.

if you want to talk or meet in person let me know. I am by no means an expert, but I sure can try to help with your questions and concerns.

cassie333
on 1/10/16 5:14 pm

Thanks so much!  Would love to talk and or meet sometime.

that would be great! 

Pianolover
on 12/30/15 7:57 pm

I doubt you will need to be on the toilet endlessly. For me it is more a matter of some urgency, if anything. When I need to poop, I need to go soon. On rare occasions it is because I feel like it'll burst out if I don't get there soon, but most of the time I feel urgency with it because if the urge to defecate passes, I won't be able to get it out and then I'll be constipated.

However, I can usually count on pooping every morning sometime after taking my AM vitamins...its called the gastro-colic reflex I believe, why most people poop in the morning!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

chevtow41
on 12/31/15 8:39 am
DS on 11/11/14

If you listen to the crappy nutritionists you'll poop and have gas much more than if you listen to the people who actually live with the DS - at least that's my experience. I typically go 2x a day. I do get smelly gas but did before too. I take my vitamins 4x a day. I buy some from Amazon, some from Vitalady and occasionally from other sources. I'm 14 months out and down 270#'s, worth every smelly fart I have.

Pianolover
on 12/31/15 11:33 am

"worth every smelly fart"....LOL, nice way to put it, i feel the same way. who cares about my occasional smelly farts, having the weight off is so worth it!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Most Active