RYN to Duodenal switch Yes or no

wanttobthin01
on 12/6/15 6:31 am

Hi.  I had my surgery RYN in August 2010.  Since then I have gained 40lbs but left 100 lbs off.  I was wondering since I am hungry every 2 hrs and seem to be able to eat more than before if I need a revision or would going to the duodenal switch would be better?  What are your thoughts??

larra
on 12/6/15 7:56 pm - bay area, CA

Revising from gastric bypass to DS is a big deal. It involves taking apart your present RNY and completely restoring the original anatomy, and then doing the DS. It is a complex and challenging surgery done by only a few experienced DS surgeons, and the risks are significant. on the other hand, if you are living with a significant amount of excess weight and maybe some comorbidities, and maybe struggling not to regain even more weight, it may be your best, or only, option.

Given that you are hungry every 2 hours, and able to eat more, it sounds like your stoma may have stretched. When this happens, food falls out of the pouch into the small intestine as soon as you eat it, and the pouch is almost always empty and you feel hungry. People think the size of the pouch matters, but the size of the stoma probably matters more. This is probably one of the most common reasons for failure of gastric bypass. It's very hard to live with constant hunger and not eat. It can also cause reactive hypoglycemia. It might be helpful to have an assessment of your gastric bypass done with either upper GI x-rays or upper endoscopy, making sure whoever does the study knows to assess the size of the stoma and not just the pouch.

More info for you coming in a pm.

Larra

wanttobthin01
on 12/7/15 2:14 am

Thank you for replying to my post.  I am probably 40-50lbs overweight for my height.  I will have to find another surgeon since mine has moved.  I will look and check in on getting the scope done.  Thanks again for the advise.

Zee Starrlite
on 12/7/15 8:19 am

Huge leap to take if not truly necessary.  Have you tried with all your might to lose your regain?  This is one of the most difficult revisions BUT the best one when it is really thought out and the PATIENT TRULY COMMITS TO COMPLYING!  

All best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active