Having a hard time with food almost 11 months out

alaska_aries2131
on 4/29/13 4:58 pm
DS on 06/15/12

I had this happen when I first had ds I would eat something then I would throw up foam and heave, we'll the last couple days I started getting sick to my stomach when I eat and my mouth starts to water and I get all foamy and congested but its spit? I have to spit it out this happened when I ate chicken I chew it well but my stomach hasn't done this for a while I was hoping some of you vets could help me out. I am not in pain just really uncomfortable

MajorMom
on 4/29/13 7:25 pm - VA

I had a hard time with chicken for the first few years and still can't eat chicken easily.  I have to eat it slowly and with some kind of condiment or gravy. Tiny sleeves don't like dense protein.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fullhousemom
on 4/29/13 9:33 pm
1 1/2 years out here, and I'm still sensitive to chicken. If I have broasted chicken, I have to have some of the skin with each bite (which was a real big mental game inititally). I only eat chicken with a sauce or with something else.
P. Poster
on 4/29/13 10:05 pm

3 years out here and chicken, turkey, pork or ham all cause me issues unless they are just about drowning in some kind of sauce, or cooked until they are VERY tender, like falling apart melting.  I cant do grilled chicken at all.  Not the tiniest bite, chewed to complete mush, and swallowed with a sip of water even.  For some reason, it just doesnt sit well.  Now, take that same chicken and cover it in butter sauce, sour cream/cheese/guacamole, etc- and Im fine.  Steak, fish and shellfish have always been the most agreeable "dense" proteins for me.  Dairy and eggs are by far the easiest and always go down fine.  

Jaiart
on 4/30/13 1:06 am - MI
Yeah, it's all pretty much a *#{% shoot as to what will go gently and what will fight its way back out.. Why I've decided to focus on protein supp's. can't depend on food for nutrition. Lol but sadly true. It's like a treat, food I mean. But the supp and vitamins are the main source.

alaska_aries2131
on 4/30/13 1:33 am
DS on 06/15/12

Thank you for your responses! I feel better hearing others experiences! :) I love chicken breast but I been eating it on the dry side for so long! I have been doing great for the most part this one was just new. I do supplement a lot of protein and am trying to get some solids in on the side I will most definitely try adding sauces to it as well. I love my tool and have had to do a lot o work to undo my low fat mentality you folks are a god send and I appreciate everything I learn from you guys! 

Valerie G.
on 4/30/13 5:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Chicken is one of the hardest to tolerate.  Even today, I fill up quickly on it, much faster than other meats.  Go for dark meat instead of chicken breast for the most tender.  They make boneless skinless thighs that you can easily substitute breasts for.  

Many fresh post-ops have discovered that chicken breast might not be the easiest meat to eat. I've got a couple of suggestions for y'all, and some of them work on any meat, but the mention of chicken comes to mind the most as I just read about someone's struggles with chicken early out.

Best Advice Ever!
Pound your meat!! Place the breast filet between wax paper or in a Ziploc and pound it with a flat mallet or rolling pin until it's about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. This breaks up the fibers in the chicken, making it easier to chew.

Brine your meat!
I do this with chicken as well as pork. Soak in sal****er, garlic and spices (I also do Worcestershire) for about 30 min. It makes it nice and juicy.

Slow cook your meat!
Cook on low, poach, or bake with sauce.

Finally, as goes with any meat, add sauce, gravy or just plain butter. Some extra added stuff just makes it easier to eat overall.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

alaska_aries2131
on 4/30/13 3:08 pm
DS on 06/15/12

Thank you I will try the chicken thighs I never really tried them. I will also try the brining thank you for the suggestions :)

Valerie G.
on 5/1/13 3:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

They are commonly used in Chinese food and we use them at our BBQ for pulled chicken.  They hold moisture beautifully.  My biggest recommendation, though, is the pounding if you're doing chicken breast or tenders.  It does make it easier to digest.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Recent Topics