Food Habit Musings

lamby80
on 4/27/13 1:22 pm
DS on 04/10/13

I am 17 days out from my DS, and noticing my old food habits and cravings poke me every once in awhile.  When I go out, I notice my tendency to want to get a "snack" wherever it is I go (and *everywhere* makes it easy these days, even Best Buy).  I used to grab a candy or some sort of garbagey thing wherever I went.  The inclination is still strong.

It's not even that I *want* the snack itself, it's just pure habit.

Also I notice myself scanning food places as I drive.  Food was a big comfort for me (as it was for us all), and one of the things I needed to do every day was pick up meals from whatever fast food place I went to, take them home, and tuck in alone ... sort of like wrapping myself up in a blanket.

Now I don't have that, and it's odd.  Not bad per se, but disquieting.  So much of my day was wrapped up in needing that comfort of food, and now I don't have it anymore so I feel sort of ... adrift I guess?  Not overly depressed or anything, just displaced.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

BPD/DS/VSG/Appendectomy/Cholecystectomy on 4/10/2013 with Dr. John Rabkin

PSaadallah
on 4/27/13 1:34 pm - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

I am right there with you!  It's like taking away your security blanket.  That ultimate comfort.  Yes, you can substitute healthy items in those situations, but it's just not the same.  It does make me sad sometimes, even when I'm having a good week - losing weight and feeling comfortable in clothes.  I'm not always able to convince myself that the new healthier me is worth giving up junk food binges - as awful as that sounds.  After 40+ plus years of eating a certain way I guess that's always going to be with me, even as it gets easier to resist cravings.  Just goes to remind all of us that our weight problems are not just physical!

NYer
on 4/27/13 1:35 pm

Congrats on your surgery!

I'm 10 months out and still find myself fighting the bad habits.  And I did read some where that depression and/or grieving over food is not unusual.  My first month post-op, I would almost cry over food commercials! LOL

I had to find something healthy to take the place of food.  Now I work out 3x wk, train for a 10k 3x wk, am training to become a trainer, and I spend quite a bit of time studying.  I feel I have to be very careful not to transfer addictions, so I keep busy!

jashley
on 4/27/13 3:23 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I like your approach. 

I find myself grazing constantly, eating to fill the void.  Calm the roaring between the ears.  Food really is my best friend.

I need to learn other coping mechanisms, and exercise/training for a run are excellent outlets.  I'm going to focus on this and find ways to stay busy, and start an exercise program.

Imakitekat
on 4/27/13 7:26 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Hi

I can totally relate to that. I haven't had surgery yet. In the interim I have been trying to make better choices so it won't be such culture shock after the surgery. I am completely off soda now, just drinking water. But when I run errand in the past I would always stop at sonic at get some extra flavored soda or stop and get a Pepsi, I always needed something to drink, am trying to get in the habit of bringing bottled water with me. My major accomplishment was to stop drinking McDonald's frappes, I used to drink a large one almost every day I am embarrassed to say, sometimes 2 -- I think that will be my biggest challenge, finding something to do to replace eating. Maybe I should start a blog, then it would make me accountable? I need to figure out what I like to do and resort to that when I feel hungry, any ideas? It is nice to know there are people out here that understand and know what your going through. It has really helped me get my mind thinking about what I need to have done and in place before surgery.

Thanks everyone!

Lisa
jzwife
on 4/28/13 2:01 am

I am 5 weeks out and struggle every day with this. I can't eat very much and what I do eat doesn't always go down very well or stay down but sometimes that doesn't keep me from wanting or eating an M&M ! I have a terrible sugar addiction which I need to get on top of before I can consume a lot of it again. It's bad stuff and could consume me if I let it. Old habits are hard to break and for me it will probably be a life long journey of trying to stay on top of. I don't necessarily want it- I just have to have it like it might be the last Candy bar or piece of candy I will ever see. I'm working on it tho!

hollykim
on 4/28/13 7:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

At 3 years post VSG and 2 months  post DS,I still have this tendency. I want everything I walk past in the grocery,I want to stop at every fat food place and I want everything I see on tv.

My strategy is 'Just don't do it." period. the item is NOT going to jump up and get in my hand and cram itself in my mouth. it has to be a conscious decision for me to just not stop by the candy aisle and just drive on by the fast food. if I never stop long enough to order/pick something up,I will avoid it. I,personally,don't find that doing something else takes my mind off of the item. I just choose not to go there and sometimes it is the hardest thing I have ever done and sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not.

My original VSG left me with a small stomach. In order to get in the DS required diet,I have to eat every hour from the time I get up till 600 pm. I mean literally every hour by setting my phone alarm. when it chimes,I eat. This doesn't stop me from wanting to eat things off plan but it DOES,help. Makes me think that sometimes I NEED some protein and my body is trying to tell me,but since off plan things are more fun than protein and I am addicted to carbs/sugar,that is always going to be the thing I think of first.

I just try not to go there.

lamby80
on 4/28/13 9:41 am
DS on 04/10/13

Thanks for all of the replies.  While food addiction sucks, it's nice to know that my struggling isn't abnormal!

BPD/DS/VSG/Appendectomy/Cholecystectomy on 4/10/2013 with Dr. John Rabkin

P. Poster
on 4/28/13 9:43 am

It takes about 3 or more weeks to form a habit and just a bit longer to break one.  Triggers will always be there.  Give yourself an out.  Bring a togo pack of nuts, a SlimJim or jerkey, shelf stable cheese, a protein bar you love, a pack of gum, or a few sugar free candies, or a bottle of flavored water, or your toothbrush (every time you want to cave, force yourself to go brush your teeth, nothing tastes good with toothpaste, LOL).  

My day is STILL completely wrapped up in food.  What Im going to prepare or go get.  If it has enough protein and fat, etc.  At some point, your mind will just shift, and it will beome more natural and you will just walk right on by that stuff and not really give it much thought (unless youre PMSing like me, hhaha!  It does get easier though, and every time you replace an old junk with a new health food is a little win and it is wrth it1

jazzy31
on 5/1/13 5:50 am

OMG it's so funny that you said your day is completely wrapped up in food.  I feel the same way.  Whether I'm eating good or bad my day revolves around food.  When I'm really on top of things I'm always planning my food for the next day or two.  In order for me to be really good I have to plan and unfortunately I end up eating the same stuff over and OVER and OVER again.  BUT it's easy for me that way and I've learned that's what I have to do to be on track.   I do allow a cheat day so I feel as if I've worked hard all week planning my food and hitting the gym so now I can cheat a little.  I'm 3 years out and I still struggle with my food habits.  I am proud that I've maintained my weight. Now I have a better grasp on what I need to do to be successful. 

It sure feels good knowing I'm not the only one who has those feelings. 

HW:330, SW: 280, CW: 161, GW: 165         

Recent Topics