Could "BEANO" help DS"rs with gas???

dustycroy
on 4/27/13 12:28 pm
DS on 05/14/13

I just had this idea and was wondering what you all thought?  My brother, "non DS'r"  used to use this and it really helped him.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Vicki PNW
on 4/27/13 12:52 pm

Not sure that Beano would help any DSer with gas distress.  I have been taking acidophilius with psyllium every morning since coming home from the hospital.  If I am going to be someplace where I would be around people in the late afternoon or evening, then I take another one before leaving.  The only time I have gas distress is when I eat foods that don't agree with me.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

MajorMom
on 4/27/13 6:04 pm - VA

It helps some. I keep it on hand and use it if I want to eat something like white chicken chili or any other beany dish.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dustycroy
on 4/28/13 4:38 am
DS on 05/14/13

I guess its worth a try then......enlightened

MsBatt
on 4/29/13 12:50 pm

I have found that the thing that's helped me most with gas problems is TIME. The first couple of years after my DS, I had a lot of painful gas. Now I rarely ever have it, even though I do sometimes eat things that I KNOW is hard on my  system.

P. Poster
on 4/28/13 9:34 am

It helps a *little*.  I will say, I take FAR more than the recommended dose for it to *help* though.  I keep them with my at all times (along with GasX Strips, which again, really only help a tiny bit) just in case I happen to be somewhere there really arent any good options for me, or there are options, but they are "iffy".   (prime examples are catered events, family functions, firehouse meals, weddings, etc).  Ill take like 4-6 of them if I end up using them, and it will usually take the edge off, control the bloating to some degree and limit the gas a bit.  

Same goes for Immodium.  If I am somewhere I know I cant get to a bathroom for a long time (we sail a lot, spend a lot of time on the beach, etc), then I'll pop 4 of the gel caps after my usual morning BM to ensure there arent any "surprise" needs through the day.

As with everything DS though, YMMV.  And I dont advocate overusing ANY of these things or using them on a regular basis.

Valerie G.
on 4/30/13 5:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Prevention works best.  If you're going to be in mixed company, then eat accordingly.  If you want to experiment, make sure it's being surrounded by those who love you unconditionally, for I don't hold a lot of faith in it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TaliTali
on 5/1/13 9:16 am - Sammamish, WA

I will use Bean-o if eating something that is difficult to digest, like beans.

The thing to remember is that bean-o breaks down the food to make it easier to digest---I wouldn't use it liberally because with the food broken down we have the potential to absorb more of it.

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

Kayla B.
on 5/1/13 12:04 pm - Austin, TX

Beano is just an enzyme that helps digest very specific sugars more easily.  These are raffinose sugars.  If the food doesn't contain raffinose starch, it's not going to help.

So it can help with beans, cruciferous veggies like broccoli or cauliflower, or some whole grains.  But not necessarily something like a cookie or a candy bar.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
dustycroy
on 5/3/13 2:59 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Thanks Kayla, and the rest of you...........enlightened