Ten Days Post Op

Irishnurse
on 4/27/13 2:37 am, edited 4/27/13 2:41 am
DS on 04/17/13

Hello,

Today I woke up and I feel so much better. I am two days out from soft foods. The first day after starting soft foods was not fun. My tummy had to adjust and it did so by having gas, cramps and bloating. I was miserable and on the toilet quite a bit. I had a huge bowel movement last night. Woke up this morning refreshed and had one more and I feel SO much better. My incisions feel way better too. I can move better. I got up and prepared my protein drink and some crystal light. I am ready for a nap. LOL.

I am down 21 pounds. I did not lose anything this last day though. So I think I hit my stand still. Not upset though because I know it is normal. My body is adjusting then the weight loss will start again. 

I had Beef stew, scrambled eggs, creamed potatoes and tuna with egg salad yesterday (1-2 ounces of each spread out over the day) and two protein shakes. I got all my supplements in as well. I did over eat once yesterday and I will not do that again. It does hurt all the way through to your back when you get too full. 

I have been religious with my fluids as well so no dehydration. The only issue I see is cracks at the corners of my lips. Which mean possible vitamin B2 deficiency but since I just started my supplements two days ago I will give it a few days before I worry about it. If they do not go away then I may pop some extra VB2 on top of what I am already taking. 

21 pounds in 9 days.... CRAZY AMOUNT of weight loss. I sat Indian Style today. I have not done that in awhile. My face looks way thinner. I am walking with a little less pain. Just on a 21 pound loss. 

No more buyers remorse. =) 

Today I am going to try and get out of the house. I get exhausted really easy. My mother is going to take me to town, maybe to the gas station or something just to see how I do. I go back to work next Friday so I have to get my stamina back. 

So far so good. No complications, no issues other than the normal. *keeping my fingers crossed and praying daily*

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Kate K.
on 4/27/13 3:40 am
DS on 04/24/13
I'm so happy for you and that its going so well! I love seeing your updates, I'm at 5 days out and feeling pretty good so far, but your updates remind me of how quickly things change and what a difference a week can make! I still haven't quite learned my "full" signals and to me they feel a lot like my happy to get protein signals. Live and learn.

Again, thank you so much for your updates. Look forward to reading more!

Irishnurse
on 4/27/13 5:52 am
DS on 04/17/13

Grats on your surgery! We will both get there in time! Gonna be in Onederland before we know it!

P. Poster
on 4/27/13 5:01 am

Sounds like you are doing QUITE well!  Dont push yourself though.  I felt AMAZING at about a week out, overdid it and then set myself back in a huge way.  Just take things slow, you have the rest of your life (and it will be much longer now :)  ) to rev it up and go go go.  Dont forget to pack some emergency food (something with protein and a bit of carbs, peanut butter on whole grain crackers were my savior, or a baggie of cashews) and a big bottle of whatever you can drink comfortably with you everywhere you go for quite some time.  

My favorite place to go was the mall to walk around.  Always a bench or somewhere to sit every 50 yards or so, plenty of bathrooms, lots of places to get a drink or a little snack if I needed it, and great for people watching and feeling involved again. They also had wheelchairs available if I just couldnt go any further :)  AND looking at all the cute clothes in stores Id NEVER been able to dream of shopping in before was great motivation and reminder of why I did this to myself in the first place :)  

The wows will start to come quickly now- jot them down and refer back to them during your stalls (which will also start to happen and are NORMAL, I promise!).  

Oh and REST!  Rest, sip sip sip, walk, walk, REST, prop your legs up, nibble, nibble, SIP, walk, walk, walk, sip, rest, nibble.  

The cracks sound more like from when you actually had your operation and they had your mouth open and dry for so many hours.  We dont really malabsorb B vitamins too heavily, and a deficiency wouldnt show up that quickly.  Id use some Carmex or Abreva on those areas for a few days and see how they come along. 

Irishnurse
on 4/27/13 5:54 am
DS on 04/17/13

Thank you for all the advice! I will stop worrying about the B2 then =)

jzwife
on 4/27/13 5:36 am

Sounds like you are doing great! I can't believe you have lost 21lbs! That is awesome. I am just now down 24 but I will take it. And it sounds like your doing well with food too. I am still in the soft food stage. I keep trying to graduate to the more solid proteins but my tummy rears its ugly head and it usually comes back up. I can do scrambled eggs now but not so big on tuna or chicken yet. Have a wonderful day out with your mom then come home and REST REST REST!

Hugs

Sharon

Irishnurse
on 4/27/13 5:56 am
DS on 04/17/13

Thank you!

nicholivolkoff
on 4/27/13 8:25 am - Canada

Excellent!!

TxTraveler
on 4/27/13 3:56 pm
Great to read your post and to hear you are getting a bit perky. Take care of yourself!
PeteA
on 4/28/13 5:18 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Wow. Sounds like you are doing great. That is so good to hear. We are at about the same post op level and it
helps to hear what you have to say and what I might be looking forward to.

I'm just entering the Puree phase. I am not excited about it but I know I need to get the stomach back
on track. I just got the hang of getting all my protein and liquids in under the liquid phase. Thank goodness
for the protein shakes.

Glad you mentioned about getting tired. I start off the morning with a lot of energy but it starts to bleed off by lunch.
It makes my afternoon protein and liquid a little harder but tracking seems to help.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Recent Topics