Asking all vets: High Fat or Low Fat?

barley5
on 4/22/13 12:54 am - PA

I'm 10 weeks out from my DS and have lost about 40 lbs. Initially, I lost about 25 lbs in the first month, but it has slowed down considerably since then, to about 2 lbs a week. My nutritionist has advised me to keep to a high protein, low fat diet. But I read on this forum all the time how people have had more success eating high fat foods. Do you think you lose more weight when you eat higher fat foods? or is that something I should wait until after the "honeymoon"? Does it help to eat higher fat foods with constipation issues? and how is your cholesterol with high fat foods? I hesitate to go against my nutritionist, but I want to take advantage of the surgery while I have the chance. Any advice would be helpful!!

Barb H - Had DS surgery date 2/6/13

Height: 5'3" HW: 295 CW: 245    

P. Poster
on 4/22/13 1:13 am

High fat, all the way.  I havent counted a fat gram in over 3 years.  My cholesterol pre-DS was almost 300.  Now, I STRUGGLE to keep it above 100 (it always comes back too low now).  If I didnt eat high fat, Id also never poop.  Fat is essential, and as a DSer, we no longer absorb about 80% of it.  Oh, Id also be dry to the bone and my hair would be crispy if I didnt eat high fat.  You DO need fat for your body and brain, and it is tough to get enough of it as a DSer. 

Zee Starrlite
on 4/22/13 1:14 am

Oh man, sounds like you should drop that nutritionist.  Why would she suggest a low fat diet with the DS when one of the bonuses is that you don't absorb like 80% of fats.  Low carb hun, low carb!  low carb, low fat is for someone like me with just the sleeve though there too are very good fats for me too like olive oil . . .

DSers here will give you sound advise.  I remember my nutritionist told me I should start eating bread - this was extremely poor advice.

All best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

fullhousemom
on 4/22/13 1:36 am
My advice will be a little different because you are only 10 weeks out of surgery.

I dont worry about fat at all at 1 1/2 years out. I never eat low fat anything. However, a high fat diet for you right now, may wreck havoc on your bowels. It did for me that early.

Most people have to eat more fat when they start taking all their calcium, because calcium will bind you up. Fat (among other things) helps to move things along.

I would suggest adding fat slowly to see how your body adapts to it. Its common to have an unpredictable bowel for the first six months, and then one day, you'll say, "What the heck! I'm constipated!" I have read that from many on these boards. Obviously, once you are at that point, you may actually NEED more fat.

My surgeon also told me high protein, low fat after my DS, with the most important thing being protein. I believe that advice is good advice early on.

Babydoll25
on 4/22/13 2:09 am - White Lake Township, MI

HIGH FAT!!!! I haven't counted a single gram of fat Since 2010! Honestly If I ate low fat I would be miserable!! High protein high fat LOW CARB. That will give you the most out of your DS. My cholesterol is LOW, almost to low so I eat as much fat as I can possibly get my hands on.

*Heather*                 

southernlady5464
on 4/22/13 2:58 am

Once you can eat "normal" again...go HIGH fat.

You malabsorb 80% of the fat you eat.

Normal, unaltered humans need a MINIMUM of 30 grams of fat per day to stay healthy...some need more depending on their gender/age/etc but 30 grams is the bottom line. If you only absorb 20% of that...30 grams is like 6 grams to you. In order to get YOUR 30 grams, you will need 150 grams daily.

However, you will find your sweet spot between not being constipated due to LACK of fat and being runny due to TOO much. Mine is around 100-120 grams.

Your nut has bought into the fact that fat is the enemy...it isn't, esp to a DS'er.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

barley5
on 4/22/13 11:03 am - PA

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll introduce more fats into my diet slowly, and see how it goes. I'm not quite constipated, but it's definitely a struggle, if you know what I mean!! (I know...TMI). I'm hoping that adding fats will help.

Barb H - Had DS surgery date 2/6/13

Height: 5'3" HW: 295 CW: 245    

J G.
on 4/22/13 4:11 pm

I'm not quite constipated, but it's definitely a struggle, if you know what I mean!!

Barb, let that be a big red flag.  If its a struggle now, you are headed for trouble.  Trouble you don't want like hemoroids and tears.  One day it will just happen and then it is too late.  It's not a slow process.  Eat some butter, mayo, oil, or whatever now.

PattyL
on 4/22/13 2:15 pm

High fat all the way!   And no worries about cholesterol.  What you don't absorb can't hurt you!

TaliTali
on 4/23/13 3:25 pm - Sammamish, WA

I don't count fat. I also don't go overboard either. I use heavy cream in my protein shakes and coffee. I eat full fat cheeses and don't shy away from fattier meats like bacon. That said, I don't eat it all the time. I tend to eat very lean protein. I eat skin on chicken rarely, don't eat fat off meat, etc etc. 

I have gorgeous blood levels and my cholesterol is enviable. ;)

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

Recent Topics