Gerd before DS surgery, How bad does it get after

dustycroy
on 4/21/13 12:34 pm
DS on 05/14/13

I am taking 20mg Prilosec for my acid reflux, "gerd" a day.  Will I have to take more medication after I have my DS surgery?

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

PattyL
on 4/21/13 1:08 pm

I was one who often had heartburn but never took anything for it.  Mine went away as I lost weight.  Less weight pressing on the stomach, neck, throat, chest, can lead to less heartburn.  Some people take acid blockers forever and others don't.  You will just have to wait and see.

I know the general consensus is that GERD can get worse post-op.  I can say for sure I've had no heartburn at all since surgery.  

fullhousemom
on 4/22/13 1:55 am
I never had heartburn prior to my DS. I had it horrible for the first couple months after surgery, and had to take Prilosec, and then it went away. Occasionally I have to take tums, but its not too often.

Search "ds & heartburn" and you should be able to get a lot of information. I do know there is alot of talk about it on the other board as well.
ajrober2
on 4/22/13 2:20 am - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12

My GERD actually went away after surgery. 

dustycroy
on 4/22/13 2:24 am
DS on 05/14/13

Wow, I want to be like you.....lol. 

P. Poster
on 4/22/13 2:40 am

Never had a single episode of heartburn or reflux or anything (even when pregnant****il I had my DS.  NOW- i have a hiatal hernia, GERD, severe reflux and a few ulcers.  Good times!  Another gift from my DS.  Im on Nexium, 40mg per day and use Zantac 150mg for breakthrough ALL THE TIME.

A. C
on 4/22/13 4:35 am

Mine is much worse.  It's a YMMV,  I take 2 - 40mg Nexium a day with Extra Strength Tagamet as backup.  I've started taking 2 teaspoons of Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar at night followed by water on an empty stomach.  My burn is getting better using that.

J G.
on 4/22/13 4:14 pm

Mine went away.  Hope yours does, too.

dustycroy
on 4/23/13 4:23 am
DS on 05/14/13

Thank you for that.  It gives me hope, it would be nice...enlightened

lamby80
on 4/24/13 5:51 pm, edited 4/24/13 7:13 pm
DS on 04/10/13

Hi! I had pretty severe GERD pre-surgery. I took one Zegerid per day and it was fairly well controlled, sometimes I had breakthrough and I'd have to take another.

I am now 2 weeks post-op, and am having to take two Prilosecs (one has the same dose of Omeprazole as one Zegerid, I stopped with the Zegerid because of the gas associated with sodium bicarbonate). It was established pretty quickly that I need more than one a day, the breakthrough on one at the end of the day was sudden and strong.

My surgeon's information says I'll have to be on omeprazole for at least a year. It seems different for everyone, though. You'll definitely need to take some for awhile post surgery as your new tummy acclimates. Given the slough of supplements we have to take, though, seems like a drop in the bucket!

BPD/DS/VSG/Appendectomy/Cholecystectomy on 4/10/2013 with Dr. John Rabkin

Recent Topics