Sugar Free ice cream

MicheleNJ
on 4/20/13 2:11 pm
DS on 04/01/13

I was wondering if we can have sugar free ice cream, we are going to Disney in July and saw a few places serve it, I haven't had any issues with dairy so. Thanks for the help.

Michele

PattyL
on 4/20/13 3:42 pm

If the sugar alcohols don't bother you, have at it!  But I would find out for sure before the Disney trip!  Buy some in June and check it out.

fullhousemom
on 4/20/13 11:22 pm
You will be at the three month mark when you go to Disney, right? Thats about the time I noticed I was lactose intolerant, which eventually went away. I also noticed a bad reaction to sugar alcohols around one to two months.

If you are going to "cheat," go for the real stuff and only eat a very small amount. At 1 1/2 years out, too much ice cream is torturous for me.

Personally, I would convince myself that its only food, which will still be available a year from now. I would keep close to a high protein diet and stay hydrated.
hollykim
on 4/21/13 1:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

You know we "can" have anything. the question is what choices do we want to make.
sugar alcohols,that are used to sweeten sf ice cream,give me explosive stinky gas and loose stinky stool. You definitely need to check it out on your system before you go to Disney so you can make an educated decision.

GL

MsBatt
on 4/21/13 2:19 am

There is no such thing as "sugar free" ice cream. There is 'no added sugar' ice cream, but it still contains the lactose naturally present in milk. As others have pointed out, becoming lactose intolerant is pretty common in the first few months after WLS, as is a sensitivity to sugar alcohols.

I understand being on holiday and wanting to to the things you've always done. I suggest trying REAL ice cream at home first, and eating it in moderation. Myself, most of the ice cream I had for the first 3 years or so I made at home, using Splenda and heavy whipping cream. Yummy! (*grin*)

* Gail R *
on 4/21/13 7:04 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I am still looking for an icecream made with Splenda. Sugar alcohols have always played havoc with me. If I weren't diabetic, I would just go with regular icecream for a RARE treat.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/21/13 12:04 pm

I headed to Disney at 3-4 months out too, because I could finally fit easily in the rides! I could fit before (barely), but I sweated getting that belt on before I made a spectacle of myself.

I too discovered I was lactose intolerant at that time, and ice cream and sugar alcohols seemed to be my only enemies. It resolved eventually, but I was super careful at Disney and had the suspect ice cream late in the day, like during the parade and fireworks. That way I'd be back at the hotel well before I needed a bathroom, and not walking around with gas pains. 

If it were me, I'd skip the sugar free, and just eat the good stuff since it's only a once in a while treat anyway. I'd bring some lactaid and eat that before and after just in case.

My dad always said life is too short for cheap ice cream, so eat the good stuff. He has dementia now, and when I eat ice cream with my folks, I tell him that, and he laughs and laughs like he's never heard it, and has no idea I got it from him, but he was clearly a smart man. You'll have a great time at Disney, and make sure you go on the Indiana Jones ride.

Kat1313
on 4/26/13 1:44 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Amy Farrah Fowler:  I love that, "Life is too short for cheap ice cream, so eat the good stuff."  Your dad was a philosopher and what a smart man!  Think I'll make that my motto for life in general!  Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

p.s. Your screen name cracks me up.  Love the character on BBT!

P. Poster
on 4/21/13 12:24 pm

I go for the real deal.  The SF stuff kills me.  As does most soft serve these days.  I can eat only a few kinds of ice cream without major distress, and those include Baskin Robbins and Haagen Daaz prety much.  Outside of that, its gonna be a bloated, gassy, stinky night.

Recent Topics