Dairy-free diet after DS surgery

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/13 8:25 am

I am about to have DS surgery in 2 1/2 weeks.  I am very sensitive to dairy now and don't eat any dairy products if I can avoid them.  That includes whey protein that is found in most protein shakes.  Is anyone out there on a dairy-free diet after their DS surgery?  What have you found to eat that is still high in protein that doesn't have dairy in it? Any recommendations for good protein shakes that don't have whey protein in them?

Thanks, Ashley

P. Poster
on 4/21/13 11:00 pm

I think the JRobb Shakes are only egg protein, Ive never used them though.  I will say, I was not a big dairy person before my DS (unless you count the 1/2 gallon of ice cream Id eat in 3 days), but I would pretty much die and starve now without dairy.  MOST of my meals contain some sort of dairy and I use cheese to boost my protein on everything (literally, I now put cheese on everything).  

You *may* find that after your DS, dairy wont be an issue, its possible I guess.  Outside of that, youre going to have to eat a lot of eggs and meat, and supplement with nuts and soy and beans (which will be negligible really).

jzwife
on 4/22/13 6:18 am

I too am very sensitive to dairy- always have been . I am lactose intolerant and casien (sp) sensitive so I started taking a dairy enzyme to help break down and absorb more. I think that's ok.. I've been thinking about posting and asking but it does seem to help with stomach upset. there aren't a lot of protein options when your early out- especially since we can't do whole grains very well.(there are protein drinks made from grains that are healthy but would really wreak havoc on your system from the gas. Jay Robb does have several types of protein drinks and one of them is made from egg whites. I think it comes in a chocolate flavor too. You just have to be careful with his protein drinks because they do have soy in them. I don't do well with soy.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with something

Sharon

Erij
on 4/22/13 10:35 am - TX

At the vitamin shop you can buy samples of the Jay Robb egg white protein for like $2.99. I tried the vanilla and it was not bad at all.

Crazeru
on 4/22/13 10:50 am

I went into my DS with lactose intolerance, and came out lactose and whey intolerant.  I use Optimum Egg White protein powder, comes in Vanilla Custard and Rich Chocolate.  I add, peanut butter, bananas, different syrups to the EW protein. 

I do eat lots of cheese w/o any problems.  I limit my dairy to premium ice cream.  Can get by with 1/2 cup or so w/o lots of gas/bloating/diarrhea...

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/13 10:01 am

Thank you for all the help.  I will have to check the egg white protein shakes out. :)

lamby80
on 4/24/13 6:34 pm
DS on 04/10/13
I like Muscle Milk shakes ... no dairy and low sugar!
Recent Topics