MCT Oil

myblueseven
on 2/11/13 5:54 am - Sudbury, Canada

Has anybody tried MCT oil? (medium chain triglycerides).  My health food store recommended it for weight loss.  I has 15 g of fat per tablespoon.  I have been adding it to my protein shake in the morning.

SUE
JazzyOne9254
on 2/11/13 6:49 am, edited 2/11/13 6:50 am

Since DSer's only absorb approximately 20% of *any* type of fat, oil-based supplements do not work for us.  You need to find that in dry form.  That's the reason we take Vitamins A, D, E and K in dry form, instead of the little oil-filled caplets.  For all intents and purposes, we don't absorb fats, period.

However, we do need good quantities of fat in our diets, to help with the elimination process.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Herman
on 2/11/13 8:59 am

Looks like you have expensive poop. While you will absorb 10-20% of that oil the rest just goes down the toilet.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Valerie G.
on 2/11/13 9:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ummmmm NO!

Literally ....,money down the toilet.  If you feel you need more fat, butter is tastier and cheaper.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kayla B.
on 2/11/13 10:31 am - Austin, TX

The thing with MCT  is that it's a type of fat that does not require pancreatic enzymes to be absorbed, it is just directly absorbed.  So yes, in those with malabsorption, it's probably better absorbed.

As far as it being good for weight loss, I have some reservations about that, considering this is going to add mroe absorbably calories to your daily total.

What kind of MCT oil is this -- coconut oil?  I know a lot of people purport the health benefits.  I'm not sure there's research to back this up.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
beemerbeeper
on 2/11/13 10:46 am - AL

There are lots of folks touting coconut oil for dogs.  So I am giving them fish oil one day and coconut oil the next.  As for me I get  plenty of fat from butter.  I know there is another kind of fish oil? that comes in a suspension that we are supposed to be able to absorb but it is very pricey (tastes great tho).  Do we need those omegas in our diets/supplements?  I know I don't eat enough fish.  Going to work on that.

~Becky

J G.
on 2/11/13 2:00 pm

virgin coconut oil is composed mainly of mct   Dr. Oz is real big on this. I guess if you were going to use oil in your cooking, it wouldn't be a bad idea...

PattyL
on 2/12/13 6:05 am

Atkins started the whole MCT thing years ago.  It surely won't hurt you but I doubt you will get much benefit from it unless you take about 10X the recommended dose spread out over the day.

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 64 views