Panniculectomy???

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/12 6:07 am - Stockton, CA
Hi Guys!! Hope everyone is well..I haven't been on here in quite a while...I've manageed to get down to a low of 159 (from 333) and I'm feeling really great aside from some low iron issues that are in the works to get fixxed. Anyway, I have a question...I am looking at getting a panniculectomy done (insurance covered). I was wondering if anyone has had JUST the Panni removed without getting a Tummy Tuck. I would love to see what the results look like. I really don't have the money to get the full Tummy tuck but I'm wondering if I should just put off the Panni removal until I DO have the money......
A. C
on 11/3/12 7:37 am

The right plastic surgeon can usually do a great job of getting "abdominoplasty"  ("tummy tuck") covered by insurance rather than just a panniculectomy.  It may take a few letters.  Have you been to the Dr for "yeast in the folds"? 

Also, there is the plastic surgery forum too.

floridaweightloss
on 9/25/24 2:04 am

When navigating panniculectomy insurance requirements, it's crucial to have thorough documentation from your doctor regarding any medical issues, such as yeast infections in skin folds. A well-prepared case can sometimes lead to approval for an abdominoplasty instead of just a panniculectomy. Make sure to communicate openly with your surgeon about your goals and any necessary letters or evidence to support your claim. Additionally, connecting with others on plastic surgery forums can provide valuable insights and shared experiences to help you through the process.

celticfaery
on 11/3/12 9:21 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I have a friend who had the panniculectomy (insurance covered) several years ago after losing weight.  She WISHES SOOOOOO bad she'd have spent the extra $$$ to get the tuck too. 

Hopefully your surgeon can help you figure something out with insurance and that will save you some money.  Otherwise, I'd wait a bit until you can afford to pay and have the whole thing done.

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

PattyL
on 11/3/12 4:29 pm

Go to some plastic surgery sites/google, etc and look at pics to see the difference.  Panniculectomys are usually not very pretty.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/12 1:22 am - Stockton, CA
That's kinda the response I figured I would be getting...I think I gotta start saving my pennies so I can just go all the way.. Thanks guys!
SharonG
on 11/4/12 8:40 pm, edited 11/4/12 8:41 pm - Arlington, VA

Unless you have really good muscle tone left and a good surgeon, you probably will not be very satisfied with just a panni.  A panniculectomy only removes the excess skin, or apron, that is left over after weight loss.  No muscle tightening is involved.  You may also want to check with other surgeons.  Sometimes, they can make a case for muscle repair if there are hernias or diastasis recti (separation of muscles).

Also, as a suggestion, be sure to have the iron levels up to normal BEFORE having abdominal surgery or any surgery. And to have them monitored after the procedure.   My levels were completely normal when I had a lower body lift years ago, but, due to blood loss from the surgery, my ferritin dropped to 8.  It was a struggle to raise my levels (required massive iron infusions) and it has been a challenge to keep my levels normal since then.  It was explained to me that DSer's are usually fine at maintaining iron stores if we have them.  Once we lose them, it is very difficult to rebuild them.  This is also why we are not supposed to give blood. 

Have you tried the PS forum here at OH?  I have not been very active on there for a long time, but that used to be a great source of information.  I believe the other forum I used was makemeheal.com.  It's been a while :-)

Congrats on your weight loss!

Sharon

julanie
on 11/5/12 7:08 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 09/17/12

I had just a Panni two years ago, while still fat . . . I hadn't lost the weight yet but mine was so massive.  I was happy to get rid of it, but I will say that all it did for me was make my muffin top look even bigger (keeping in mind I was still 280 when I removed it, and lost 20lbs in skin it was that big).  There is a huge drop off under my abdomen.  if you can save teh money up, get the tuck, it's worth it.  I'm now waiting to do it until I lose the rest now that I'm a DS revision, I can't wait.

Also, my plastic surgeon and my aunt's were totally willing to negotiate a lot.  Find a couple that you like or that you can get good recommendations from, and then comparison shop.  My aunt had breast reconstruction/implants, and the original price and the ending price was about $3000 less after a couple of surgeons got into a bidding war.  Just sayin' ...

Julanie

Garden Fairy in training, according to my daughter
Most Active