What should I eat..I'm 1 month post op

Kristic K.
on 5/14/12 2:43 am - AZ
DS on 04/17/12
I've been reading a lot of posts on DS forums, but this is the first time I've posted.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what I can/should eat that is low carb.  I wasn'****ching my carbs the first few weeks I was home and my weight loss has stopped completely for a week now. So now I'm trying to get in as little carbs as possible, but finding it very hard. This is usually how my days goes now:

B - 1 c. 2% milk, 1 egg scrambled with cheese, onions and bacon or sausage (aprx. 23g protein)
L - Bariatric Advantage Protein Shake w/ 2% milk (39g protein)
D - Varies, most of the time I don't want to eat anything, but last night I had 1 Johnsonville beef bratwurst w/ 1 slice of Chompies Low Carb Seaseme Bread (aprx. 15g protein)
S - String cheese and peanuts or pistachios (aprx. 10g protein)

I know I need to get in more protien. I sip water all day long and take my multivitamin, calcium and sometimes my B12 and iron (i forget)

I've been searching for other things I can eat.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Does anyone eat the Atkins protein bars?  They seem to be high in carbs (around 18 or 19), the the package says 3 net carbs.  

The other thing I'm concerned about is that a friend of mine had the DS surgery in December 2011, and has lost 90 pounds in just 4 months.  She goes to the bathroom 3 or 4 times a day and she says it is very loose and she can see an orange film in the toilet from all the fat she's not absorbing.  But I'm still very regular, I go just once in the morning and it's pretty solid, and I don't see any orange from the fat.  Is is still possible that I'm absorbing a lot of fat??

Please let me know if you have experienced the same thing or if I should be really concerned about this. Thank you!!

smileyjamie72
on 5/14/12 4:26 am - Palmer, AK

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Kristic K.
on 5/14/12 11:29 am - AZ
DS on 04/17/12
 Thank you! This will be very helpful :)
levittown_loser
on 5/14/12 5:48 am - Levittown, PA
Atkins bars are fine ... and go by net carbs.   Always subtract out the fiber. 

Everyone is different.   As well as most DS surgeries are performed differently.    What is your common channel length compared to that of your friend?  How does your diet compare to hers?  

Just because you are not seeing the oil slicks doesn't mean you are absorbing more ... you could be intaking less.   You are also very early out and still adapting.  It will be a bit until you hit a true routine. 

During my rapid weight loss ... I stuck with 150g protein a day as a male and under 50 net carbs a day.

Just a note on your diet posted ... Go for cream or half an half for your shake instead of 2% ... less carbs.   And IMO you should be adding at least 1 more.   I find doing one the minute I get in from work helps get another in ... then I get ready to make dinner etc. and I'm go to go.

I will say your note about taking a Multi, Calcium and sometimes b12 and iron concern the hell out of me!     I hope you are taking more then that!     You have the most malabsorptive procedure out there and MOST people ... doctors and nutritionist included have no clue of our real nutritional needs until our D tanks ... our A tanks and have vision problems etc.     It's generally MUCH harder to recover from a deficiency than it is to prevent one.    Vites are NOT an option ... and I mean the right vites at that!

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Kristic K.
on 5/14/12 12:11 pm - AZ
DS on 04/17/12
Thank you for your response!

As far as the Atkins bars, it seems like to get the net carbs, they are subtracting the fiber AND the sugar alcohol.  Is that correct?  I've read a lot of posts that say to stay away from sugar alcohol. 

My friend had the same surgeon, so I suspect he would do the surgery the same?  She does eat a lot differently than I do though (but again she's 4 months post op), she doesn'****ch her carbs and eats a lot of fried foods and carbs but still has lost a lot of weight.  It seems that I'm not going to be as lucky.

I will take your advice and get in another protein shake a day and use half & half for less carbs.

The multi vitamins that I take is from Bariatric Advantage so it is designed specifically for bariatric patients.  I was already taking 6000 IU of D3 prior to surgery, so I continue to take that daily.  Last week I started taking supplements for Zinc, A, E & K, but had an allergic reaction to one of them, so my surgeon told me to stop taking them for now.  I will start adding 1 each wee****il I figure out which one I am allergic to.
Janine P.
on 5/14/12 1:06 pm - Long Island, NY
Hi and welcome!

Food ideas/tips/tricks:  More protein shakes but no milk.  Use heavy cream and water, or unsweetened almond milk - no carbs. 

Like Tom said, Atkin's bars are fine.  Just pay attention to only the Net carbs on the front of the box. 

Your snack choices are great - nuts/cheese - good job.

The lack of oil in the toilet - don't worry about it.  It's not necessary to see.

The vitamins - whoa girl.  You need way more than what you're taking.  The D3 alone - you should be on 50,000 IUD's a day.  And no, that's not a typo - 50,000 IUD's.  Your D is going to drop like a paratrooper if you don't bump that up.   Have you ever heard/contacted Vitalady?  If not, you NEED to.  Go to her website, vitalady.com, and check out her plan for the DS patient. 

Best of luck!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

levittown_loser
on 5/14/12 8:41 pm - Levittown, PA
You are correct ... net cards would be total carbs - fiber and sugar alcohols. 

"It seems that I'm not going to be as lucky."    Really?   Don't make that assesment yet.  You are so early out!   A positive attitude wouldn't hurt eh?

BA high ADEK ARE NOT ENOUGH FOR US and if your surgeon or their nutritionist is telling you to use them for their kickback and ease of thier dumber patients who don't know any better! 

You need to find Gina (Majormom) on here or get to the proboards site for more site traffic to help you understand.   Get on the vitalady plan asap.     http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3-2010.pdf

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Kristic K.
on 5/15/12 1:19 am - AZ
DS on 04/17/12
 Wow!  I had no idea.  I am so glad I found this forum.  I will make sure to mention in my next support group to visit Vitalady.com.  What an eye opener.  Well that would explain why I am so lethargic.  I thought it was because I wasn't able to eat enough or I wasn't drinking enough water.  You both probably just saved me from a future medical nightmare.  Thank you so much!!!
levittown_loser
on 5/15/12 1:37 am - Levittown, PA
I'd highly suggest getting on the DS Facebook Group and the Proboards WLS forum as that is where most of all the DS vets have went because of political issues with OH.

Tom

NoMore B.
on 5/15/12 9:00 am, edited 5/15/12 9:01 am
 Just a note on the Vitamin D you're taking - from the amount I'm assuming it's the soft gels?  Are they green or brown with liquid in them?  If that's what you're taking, they're not useful to us.  The Vitamin D in them is suspended in oil, and we dont absorb the oil, therefore we dont absorb the Vitamin.

The type of Vitamin D you need is called "Dry" Vitamin D.  Vitalady.com is a good place to buy that.