Food Advice?

provolisa
on 12/10/11 5:39 pm - Provo, UT
For what it is worth, I remembered from biology class that the egg white is where the protein is, and that the egg yolk is mostly fat. I checked wikipedia to make sure I'm not misleading you, and here is what it says:

"Egg white consists primarily of about 10% proteins (including albumins, mucoproteins, and globulins) dissolved in water, which makes up the other 90%. Unlike the yolk, which is high in lipids (fats), egg white contains almost no fat, and carbohydrate content is less than 1%."
So, you might want to reconsider which part of the egg you want to feed to the dogs...

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Larissa P.
on 12/10/11 3:42 am - Denton, TX
You just got switched, give it time. Took me almost 10 months before I could stomach protein shakes, and discovered the ones I like best. Try a different brand every few weeks until you hit the right one.

I found Syntrax Nectar to be my favorite. YMMV.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
HeatherLynn
on 12/10/11 5:36 am - TX
 I ordered the champion whey protein stack chocolate, because I couldn't stomach any of the powders. Ironically, I tried the Jay Robb Egg White Chocolate yesterday, and I gagged. It wasn't the taste, it was the smell. It smelled just like our rabbits cage when it's dirty. 

Anyhow, just tried the champion, and I actually like it. PRAISE THE LORD, because I was getting very discouraged. Would you like me to put a couple of scoops in a baggie and mail them to you so you can try it? 

My angel is RagamuffinB, and she rocks! 
sandyv63
on 12/10/11 5:52 am - Naples, FL
Champion chocolate stack was the one I started with before I got the DS and I loved it. Now the aftertaste is just awful.  The egg white protein is so gross. I don't think I'd ever be able to drink that. I am guessing I need to wait until my taste buds settle down and food tastes like food again before I can tolerate any shakes. Tried the coffee protein shake and I can still taste the protein. Yuck.  My taste buds have become way too sensitive. I was drinking spring water and  I got some Aquafina because it was on sale. I never noticed much of a difference in taste but now it tastes awful to me and I have to force it down because that's all the water I have and I have not been great about getting my liquids in either.  At least it doesn't nauseate me or make me gag.  I froze up some organic chicken stock in ice pop molds and I am sucking on those. I figure liquid is liquid. I can't wait for this phase to pass.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
fullhousemom
on 12/10/11 8:40 am
 I was feeling the same way at about one month out. I started putting country time lemonade in my water to get it down. I ate protein bars (no shakes). Lots of cheese. Mozeralla cheese sticks, babybel, and provolone. Oatmeal for breakfast, with a little protein powder. 

AT two months out, I enjoy straigh****er again, from the tap. I am eating steak!  Yum!  My tastebuds have settled down quite a bit and my vitamins are FINALLY going down better. My stomach no longer wants to throw up at the thought of taking my vitamins!

I didnt lose very quickly, but I got through. Now I am losing weight again fast!  I have no regrets. I did what I had to do to get thru this period. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/11 11:57 pm
What flavor did you try of the Jay Robb?  I've never heard anybody say anything bad about his.  I use the whey and the vanilla one was nasty to me...WAY too sweet.  The strawberry and pina colada are awesome tho.
sandyv63
on 12/11/11 6:02 am - Naples, FL
Chocolate. The whey was sickly sweet and the egg white protein was just horrible.  I managed to get a Champion Chocolate Whey stack in this morning and it did not make me gag. It tasted normal so maybe my tastebuds are starting to return to normal.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 7:21 am
Good to know about the chocolate!  I have never tried his chocolate.  The strawberry whey stuff tastes like a smoothie from orange julius tho.  MMMMM  I put banana in it just for a little extra sometimes ;-)
honeybadger 11
on 12/10/11 5:53 am - FL
Dont forget getting protein in is a process of time. They say 30gm by 30days, 60gms by 60days and 90gms by 90 days so if you are getting 78gms you are doing good!

mushies/soft foods to me is kinda wierd...everything is mushie/soft if you chew it enough!

Like mentioned i use only small bowls and plates. Thats also a process to get your sizes more on par with what you can actually eat. I also find somedays i can eat more than others so i just make a reasonable amount and eat slowly and i dont eat past full. You know your body best:)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4478158/food-ideas-and- recipes/

This is the post were i put out some of the things i was eating. Hope you will find something that helps:)

I think you are doing great, stop over thinking. You are still healing and if the foods arent upseting your belly i say eat what you can! You can get more focused as your diet progresses:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

honeybadger 11
on 12/10/11 6:00 am - FL
Also, i have to drink egg protein do to lactose intolerance. I did love the Champion Whey, so good!

I finally found an egg protein that is quite tolerable called Optimum Nutrition Rich Chocolate. For me, theres little after taste. It doesnt smell bad and has a definite chocolate taste.

I bought it on allstarhealth.com

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Most Active