vitamin regemin question from pre-op noob...

Blank Out
on 12/5/11 5:02 am
 Every DSr is different.  Some will not ever be able to absorb iron, so they will have to have iron infustions.  Some do fine with iron absorption.  Just one example of what we are trying to say.  There are a wide range of experiences here on this board that have been time tested.  The experience and wisdom here is INVALUABLE!!!!!      Labs every 6 months is a must!  This way, you can track your labs and you will know how to supplement!  It is a steep learning curve...

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 5:37 am - Woodbridge, VA
There's no one-size-supplements-all shake because there is no one-size-supplements-all supplement regimen. Some folks here are taking 50k IUs of dry D3 daily, and others are up to 200k IUs. Some folks take calcium citrate 3 times per day and some take it 6 times per day. Some folks need copper; some don't. And so on.

And then there are the special interactions and forms. For example, B12 needs to be sublingual or injection; swallowing it like normal won't cut it for many of us. Iron and calcium need to be separated and not taken together.

And then there is the plain fact that some vitamins just TASTE BAD. That's why they are in capsules or tablets and not in shakes  :)
PatXYZ
on 12/5/11 8:12 am
Honestly, I think the closest you're going to get are the shakes that the have the equivalent of a multivitamin in them that you could add upcal or other calcium citrate powder too. This would take care of the multivit requirement and about 1/3 of your daily calcium needs. You'll see from Vitalady's plan that this doesn't make a big dent. You can't add all your pills to a single shake because certain things can't be combined or are more effective when doses are split up. There is no way to get around taking pills at least 2-3 times a day. Also, I'd be concerned about adding pills to a shake because of what may be left behind in sediment in the blender, cup, etc. But if you're keen to eliminate what you can, there are the Nature's Best Isopure low carb shakes that have the equialent of a pharmacy multi vit/mineral in them. Good luck!
alldredget
on 12/6/11 9:59 pm, edited 12/6/11 10:00 pm - Comstock Park, MI
I love Isopure drinks and plan on having a hefty supply of them after my surgery!! Probably should buy some stock in the company...lol
Emily F.
on 12/5/11 10:06 am
Celebrate Vitamins does make a calcium and a multi vite shake. I got free samples some time ago and never made them. I would imagine, for the amount you will need, it would be several shakes and that's kind of ridiculous to drink 4 drinks when you could just swallow a pill??
inkedandsleeved
on 12/5/11 11:13 am
 Hey, hon. I'm seeing your frustration, and I think the base misconception you're having here is that everyone needs the same dosage of vites throughout their journey.
Wrong.
That's why we have to contantly monitor our labs. And each person's common channel is different, that's why "20% fat" is only an average, and in no way predicts what your uptake is going to be.

You're not the first one to come up with the idea, but any basic product-fit and/or market-feasability person will tell you that the amount of DSers (not that many per year) isn't yet at at a critical mass enough yet to be able to fund the research on this product, produce it (with quality vitamins... you can't just do it with piece-of-crap vitamins), and get it approved for consumption. At least not at any decent cost to the consumer. Plus, you've got to keep in mind that most of your DS consumers will be unable to consume your product after 3 months, or 6 months, or 9 months, or whenever their own body's and surgery's variables start to take shape and the lab results come in.

This isn't an easily maintained surgery. Vite regimens are a constant change-up. It's kind of a hard concept to get used to, but as someone who's been sleeved (and about to be switched), I've already seen in my own vitamins and labs that the "recommended doses" in many vites have had to be either cut down or increased. So an all-in-one just doesn't apply to us post-op because we are all beautiful unique snowflakes and all that jazz ;)
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 12:14 pm
"I'd give bj's on the corner if that's what it took to have the money to get my vitamins from the great and mighty Vitalady."  In fact, I wash 'em back with a big ol' protein shake, mixed up with half and half.  Just sayin'.
alldredget
on 12/6/11 10:01 pm - Comstock Park, MI
You are supposed to get paid for those bj's on the corner??  Man, now I feel stupid....lol
Its a Secret
on 12/7/11 7:06 am
ewwwwww

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 2:27 pm - San Jose, CA
(I thought I posted this yesterday - I just found it finished but unposted on my other computer, so I'm posting it anyway.)

You asked the question - naive though it was - and were told no.  Then, instead of asking WHY something as simplistic as what you suggest didn't exist, you started trying to argue with us.

Your ignorance of even the most basic aspects of the science of the DS is what is glaringly obvious here.  Many of us long term vets are starting to think there ought to be more than just a psych evaluation for the DS - some people are just too ignorant (which can be fixed) or unintelligent ("stupid" works too - either way, it CAN'T be fixed) to be allowed to have the DS.  In the wrong hands, it is too dangerous, and requires too much knowledge, understanding, self-advocacy, and yes INTELLIGENCE to be given to someone without the emotional or intellectual wherewithal to handle the responsibility that comes with it.

At this point in your research, you should REALLY know more about the DS and how it works.  Really.  You should REALLY know more about the need and reasons for each of the vitamins that DSers take.  You should know how they are administered, the alternatives, the timing.  And if you don't, you should be reading and learning, not arguing with us.

By the way, have you ever taken a vitamin B complex pill or capsule?  More importantly, have you ever SMELLED one?  Can you imagine what it would taste like in a shake??

Bad DSers can hurt themselves.  Bad DSers give the DS a bad name.  Bad DSers give DS surgeons who don't want their stats to look bad, or to do a lot of follow up care, reasons to not make it available.  Bad DSers give insurance companies ammunition to once again stop covering it.  We do not encourage potentially bad DSers to get the DS.

If you get my drift.
Most Active