vitamin regemin question from pre-op noob...

Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 5:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
Meh. I'll expect the best for now.

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 1:05 am - Lancaster, OH
En, I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but this one does indeed seem to be an ineducable asshole.
Oh well, you sincerely tried, which is more than he probably ever has done.
alldredget
on 12/5/11 12:44 am, edited 12/6/11 9:55 pm - Comstock Park, MI
I hope a pretty girl flirts with me when I lose the weight, I am married, but it sure would be nice to get a smile from a pretty girl from time to time.....

I think I will add that to one of my goals...
Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 1:01 am - Burlington County, NJ
You might consider the tone of your posts as part of why you are getting this type of response. People have been through here ever since the board started, looking for "better" and "simpler" solutions, as well as making noises about wanting to develop and market products. You are far from the first person to pose these questions.

We're going to tell you what works for a LOT of people who have cumulative decades of experience. You can fuss about it or not, your choice. You're wanting us to provide you with information, so I suggest that you not get picky about how it's provided. Or should we send you a bill for our consulting services?

alldredget
on 12/5/11 12:50 am, edited 12/5/11 12:50 am - Comstock Park, MI
I did find some information on dry vs wet vitamins, so I was lacking information on that, but it still does not negate my idea in any way, it actually makes it easier:

"Dry vitamin refers to a powdered form of the vitamin and can be called dry, allergy, miscible or water-miscible." 

powdered vitamins.....powdered protein drink..... 
Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 1:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
Google Scholar and Pubmed are your friends. Quit using Wikipedia.

newyorkbitch
on 12/5/11 2:14 am, edited 12/5/11 2:15 am
 First of all,  no two DSers need exactly the same amount of every different vitamin.  So how on earth could you come up with a "shake" that had everything right for every DSer,  or even most DSers? You need to read a lot,  I mean a lot,  of posts and history on this board.  I take 50,000 units of DRY D (not fat soluble) every day to maintain my levels.  There are people here who take 10,00,  people who take, 100,00  etc etc.  And you understand NOTHING about the DS because you actually suggested you would put fat in the shakes because the vitamins are fat soluble - WE DO NOT ABSORB FAT for the most part so that would make it WORSE,  not better.  Do you even know how the DS works?

Do you also know that there are some vitamins that are better absorbed when not taken together?

Also - I am 11.5 years post-op and I have not had a protein shake since I was a couple of months post-op.

Second, vitalady,  who is a real person and a member here,  has done YEARS of work on these issues,  she works with doctors,  with vitamin manufacturers,  with hundreds of bariatric patients - you would be well advised to read her website and seek her advice.

And if you don't cut the attitude here,  you will very fast find yourself without the help of the people here,  and if you have a DS,  you will be very very sorry indeed to lose this is a resource.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/7/11 11:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
He doesn't want help. He wants investors to finance his magic potion. He and a certain NUT from TX will just save all us poor DSers with their, um, brilliance.

mfgdeux
on 12/5/11 2:53 am - antioch, TN
I see where you're coming from. I would love a one pill fits all solution too. However, the DS is a lot of hard work and dedication. I am still, after 2-3 years, trying to figure out my vitamins after my labs each time. One thing you have to remember, there are certain vitamins that should/cannot be taken together. As DS'ers, we also have to take iron and calcium. Never mix those two together. Iron should not be taken with milk or coffee. So if you want to throw your iron in the protein drink with milk, you're doing a disservice. As for calcium, you can only absorb a certain amount at a time. So you would have to take that 2,3,maybe 4 times a day, depending on your labs.
Overall, I want to emphasize how important the maintenance of this surgery is. For awhile, I didn't take it seriously. Then my Vitamin D tanked to 6, my B12 was deficient, calcium was being sucked from my bones and I was anemic. I'm still anemic even though I'm a faithful iron taker. my B12 is in the normal range (low though), my Vitamin D is almost in normal range, however my calcium seems to be getting worse. Consistency is the key. Knowledge is the bigger key. You have to read, read, read. Know what you're getting into. Know that your life will never be the same afterward. Know that you will have to take with you on trips pill dispensers for your vitamins. Know that you will most likely carry a pocket size air freshener wherever you go (for the potty).
The DS was the best thing that ever happened to me.. However, there is a lot of responsibility and cause and effect with this surgery. Don't go into it lightly otherwise you will fail miserably. Maybe no immediately but it will happen.

See my journey on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/peterrabbit31
Janet P.
on 12/5/11 1:33 am
You assume that everyone needs the same amount of supplementing. Unfortunately we do not.  I guarantee that there are no two DS post-ops taking the exact amount of vitamins. We all have different needs. You are also assuming that everyone drinks protein shakes. You will drink them for the first few months but after the first few months unless you're having problems you should get your protein from food, not supplements. Why would I drink a protein shake when I can have a steak instead.

Vitalady's regime is a guide not a bible. Everyone has to tweak her recommendations based on our own body makeup, labs, etc. A 25 year old woman needs different supplements than a 55 year old man. A 55 year old woman has different needs than a 55 year old man. 

When I had my DS almost 9 years ago, there was a "magic" vitamin called Vita-4-Life. My surgeon recommended it and I took it for a couple of years. 12 pills packaged nice and neat. That's all I needed -- that's what they told me. When My labs started coming back all tanked, I started to supplement to make up for what I wasn't getting in the V4L. So the convenient package now became a pain in the ass becaue I had to add so many extra pills I finally simply switched to Vitalady's vitamin regime.

Good luck in your venture to invent a protein shake/vitamin supplement for a DSer.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active