vitamin regemin question from pre-op noob...

Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 12:58 am - Burlington County, NJ
20% fat absorption is not enough to make regular forms of fat soluble vitamins viable for us. I need to go to class so I don't have time to link to material about this. Perhaps someone else has it handy.

Vitalady's Tender brand of A, D, E and K is manufactured by Biotech, www.biotechpharmacal.com (I think that's right, someone can correct me if not). They use a proprietary process to coat each molecule of the vitamins in a substance that renders the molecules water soluble. The fine folks there can explain it a little better than that, but that's the bottom line. Notice that it is a proprietary process, therefore they will not simply publish exactly how it's done. But their products have been independently lab tested and verified, and at least as importantly to ME, if not more so, they clearly cause big changes in DSers' labs.

The vitamin A you need is 100% A palmitate, rendered water soluble. Made by Biotech, sold by Vitalady and some other sources.

Try Google Scholar and put in water soluble vitamin A or D and see what you get.

alldredget
on 12/5/11 1:02 am, edited 12/6/11 9:51 pm - Comstock Park, MI
Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 1:05 am - Burlington County, NJ
Many others have liked the shake idea before you. What kind of Ph.D. do you have and in what science field?

If you keep talking about the magic shake idea, the snark level in the responses is going to increase suddenly and dramatically. Responses to your other questions will show effects, as well.

That's not a threat. That's some kind instruction about the dynamics of this particular board.

alldredget
on 12/5/11 1:11 am, edited 12/6/11 9:50 pm - Comstock Park, MI
Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 4:26 am - Burlington County, NJ
*sigh* What I am trying to communicate to you is this: You are acting like a four year old who just learned about the idea of gravity trying to tell people with degrees in, oh, astronomy all about gravity.

You are but a newborn infant to the idea of the DS, what it entails and how to live with it. It's time to back the **** UP and go actually LEARN about it, HAVE it and LIVE with it a bit.

Vitalady has more experience and knowledge than you will EVER acquire, first by virtue of the fact that she and her husband have been living with what is now called ERNY (with the same intestinal configuration as is now done for the DS) since 1994. Then we will consider the THOUSANDS of postops' labs she has seen and lives she has saved, professional conferences, connections, hundreds of thousands of miles traveled to go TO the patients who are her customers......

I could go on, but I think this adequately expresses what I'm trying to say. "Him that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

mel1964
on 12/5/11 12:26 am

i always get this question, i have a counter in my apt with all my vits and people ask, if you knew you had to take all those vitamins, would you have had the surgery, i always say yep! because i knew you had to heavily supplement from reading dsfacts and researching before the surgery and i heard a horror story or two about people who had wls surgery and did not take vits at all (ds and rny), why lose the weight you want only to become deathly ill from non-compliance, it seems like alot but it will become easy and routine,definately a learning process, dont forget to invest in a pill organizer!

alldredget
on 12/5/11 12:37 am, edited 12/6/11 9:53 pm - Comstock Park, MI
It still floors me to want to explain a thought and have it misinterpreted in exactly the wrong way....so very frustrating
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 1:42 am - Lancaster, OH
On December 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM Pacific Time, alldredget wrote:
Once again....I am not saying that advantages to the surgery doesn't override the hassle of taking supplements.  I would take a 100 pills for the advantages of the surgery.

And yes...it is a magic powder that makes up those pills...lol, Vitamin D and Vitamin K powder in the pill capsules, protein powder, etc.

Many whey protein drinks athletes drink are fortified with many nutrients to support them physically.

I could take my handful of pills, some whey protein drink powder with some almond milk and throw it in a blender and voila I would have what I am talking about.

I really don't think I am being unreasonable or naive thinking the same could be done to support DS'ers. Nor am I dissing the great Vitalady or vets that take their pills daily and are fine with it.
"the great Vitalady"...  Well, aren't you just special? 

Since you've been here about a minute, you don't know the time and energy she has devoted, at no charge, to helping people around here understand their supplementation needs.  SHE doesn't tout herself as great, nor does she throw any credentials around, but she is a wealth of information.

And, Mr. Rocket Scientist, have you noticed that things in powdered form tend to settle?  And that some things settle faster than others?  So that, if the vitamin powder were just thrown in with the protein powder, you MIGHT not get an even distribution of all the ingredients contained therein?  I take protein powder to get protein.  I take vitamins to get vitamins.

You feel free to try it your way though.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/5/11 4:28 am - Burlington County, NJ
And he thinks his social problems are all weight related.

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 5:22 am - Lancaster, OH
I'm sensing radio silence.  My guess is that IF there is another post, it'll be to tell us how mean and *****y the DS must make us.

That, or, he's busy at the patent office registering his magic protein powder.
Most Active