breakfast suggestions-non-egg, dairy, or coffee!

Elizabeth N.
on 12/3/11 1:39 am, edited 12/29/11 7:06 am - Burlington County, NJ

provolisa
on 12/3/11 6:28 am - Provo, UT
I sure hope that I can go sooner than later! Right now, I am approved for "long-term care"

Do you have any experience with the lift and wipe method? It's not the sort of thing people generally talk about, so I am not sure if it will work out in practice or not.

I have hopes that Medicaid would cover major skin removal, but I am afraid that I would have to have uncurable festering sores, for them to approve it.
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

goodkel
on 12/3/11 5:12 am
On December 3, 2011 at 12:29 AM Pacific Time, provolisa wrote:
The plan is, to stay here while I lose the 80 or so pounds that I need to lose to qualify for my first knee replacement, then recover from that here, then do my second knee replacement and recover from that. At that point, I will re-evaluate.

I am basically here now because I can not reach around my front or butt to clean myself after I go to the bathroom.

My fear is that, if everything I can't reach around goes South as it deflates, I won't be able to reach around it when I am thinner, either. In that case, I would have to go to assisted living, where they feed you in a dining room as well. I would have tons more privacy, though, because I would have my own room instead of a cubicle bound by hospital-type curtains.

But, once I can take care of myself, I will be able to go home.

~Lisa
Have you tried a bidet attachment for your toilet? I got the Biffy for my Mom and fell in love with it myself. I have no problem reaching, I just use it because I like being very clean. It may help you become more independent more quickly.

You can read about them on the web site www.biffy.com.

And they are available less expensively on eBay from time to time:

www.ebay.com/itm/Biffy-Personal-Rinse-/180756587330

Best of luck to you!

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

provolisa
on 12/3/11 6:40 am - Provo, UT
I spent quite a lot of time at the biffy website, and checked out the deal on ebay, as well. Very interesting. How much pressure does the water have? Enough to get right up in there to clean, or does it kind of just run off? I guess it does a great job, or else you wouldn't have fallen in love with it too...

Very interesting!

Thank-you~
Lisa

goodkel
on 12/3/11 7:25 am
There are knobs that allow you to manually adjust the water pressure. I have it at about 1/2 way. If things seem to be loitering up there, I can aim it just right and give myself a mini enema. Works every time. It does a great job. I always wipe after wards, anyway, to dry off and just be sure and there is never anything there. Clean, clean, clean!

I also have the ambient heater, but the water is still pretty chilly until you get used to it.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

provolisa
on 12/3/11 10:06 am - Provo, UT
WOW! 

Janet P.
on 12/2/11 6:52 pm
Early out everyone needs protein shakes because there is absolutely no way you can get enough protein through food alone. I'm not an advocate of long-term use of protein shakes (that's just me) but I used them extensively the first 3-4 months.

I live on eggs. I eat them almost every day and have since the very beginning. They're an excellent source of straight protein for a DSer since most of us don't have to worry about cholesterol post-op.

My mother lived in a nursing home for 5 years and she had a small fridge. We always kept cottege cheese, sliced deli cheese & meat, tuna or chicken or egg salad. I would shop for her once a week so hopefully you have someone who can do that.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 11:21 pm
Same here. I eat eggs almost every day now,  and have since the earliest days post-op.

I don't understand why any doctor would object to protein shakes in the early post-op period.  I certainly needed them at that time.  But I have not had a protein shake since a couple of months post-op,  and that was 11.5 years ago.

I usually include protein at every meal,  and try to have protein as snacks.  This morning's breakfast:  3 poached eggs,  some cottage cheese (take lactaid pills as needed),  toasted pieces of baguette, and a banana.

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 1:16 am, edited 12/3/11 1:17 am
Can you ask for scrambled eggs or how about deviled eggs? It took me a long time to be able to eat fried eggs...why I have no idea, they just gagged me! Now I suck 'em down no problems. Btw, who says you have to have breakfast food for breakfast? How about rolled up deli meat with cheese, or cottage cheese or yogurt. I ended up lactose intolerant so I couldn't do milk. Try broth, soup broth, sf jello, sf popsicles, sf pudding... bites of baked tater with butter and sour cream. Refried beans with cheese. But don't forget the main thing is to get your fluids in by any means...at least 64 oz a day. Trust me, you won't be thinking a whole lot about food for a while.
ETA: protein shakes I couldn't stand except one: Atkins RTD. I started out with those and worked my way up to Champion Pure Whey Stack.
provolisa
on 12/3/11 6:46 am - Provo, UT
We have scrambled eggs with cheese in them as an option every morning. I can't have leftovers because they are thrown away (such a waste - they could be given to a homeless shelter or something!!) each night. I hadn't thought about rolled up deli meat with cheese, until earlier in this thread. I think that is a great idea. I also thought cottage cheese and yogurt might have too much lactose, if I become intolerant. But, they are available 24 hours a day, here, along with string cheese.

You are right, the broth and stuff are much more what I will be needing at the beginning.

Lisa

Most Active