breakfast suggestions-non-egg, dairy, or coffee!

PatXYZ
on 12/2/11 7:57 am
I'm still pre-op but have been using protein shakes for a while now. I love the Whey Gourmet line, one of the few that I like made with water rather than almond milk. I don't think there is any good reason to avoid protein shakes, I simply don't see how you can reasonably expect to get 100-150g of protein a day without them, especially in the first year.
linda1814
on 12/2/11 8:11 am
Would you have access to a microwave?  If so, you could always make a shake cake.  No coffee required there and not a lot of refrigerated ingredients except the half and half.  I know there are complaints about them being dry but mine have never been.  Plus is it 25 grams of protein.  They are very filling though.

I use a scoop of Champion protein powder, two tablespoons (1 fluid ounce) of half and half, two tablespoons of oil, and two tablespoons of flavored syrup from DaVinci like Egg Nog, Caramel, etc.  Sometimes I'll add in a teeny bit of baking powder but I barely notice if I don't.  Then microwave it until it sets.  I usually set it for a minute and then keep checking it every 15 seconds to 30 seconds after that.  Make sure you use a bowl with higher sides since it will puff up (and fall back down) especially if you use baking powder.  Sometimes I will throw in cocoa powder and splenda instead of the flavored syrup.

With the cottage cheese, you could always add stuff to it for a savory snack.  Hopefully they don't stock low fat cottage cheese... the full fat is tastier.  :)

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

newyorkbitch
on 12/2/11 8:37 am
 Why does your surgeon object to protein shakes ??
provolisa
on 12/2/11 9:36 am - Provo, UT
I'm not particularly sure - I plan to ask why at the pre-op class on Dec. 9th.
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 9:40 am
I have the same question as NYB.  Why does your surgeon not want you to have protein shakes?  He is the only one I have heard of that objects to them.  It is almost impossible to get your protein in without them when you are early out.

Michele
nightowl
on 12/2/11 3:08 pm - Topeka, KS
The surgical practice I went with here locally also poo-poohs the shakes, for the most part.  They sell them, but prefer patients get their protein from food, esp. a year and further out.  They say the solid protein is more filling.  However, they don't expect patients to get in as much protein as is common for DSers on these message boards.
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:04 am
Yeah, well, this is another case where I would smile, nod, and get my shakes ready.

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:14 am
Actually, that's really not a bad idea if a person can eat all the protein they need in a day.  I have seen post-ops use their shakes for protein because it give them more room for carbs, however, some of these people never reach goal or end up with sustantial regain.

Early out, shakes were the only way I could get all my protein in and I started getting in 100gms at 3 weeks out.  (not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I didn't lose any hair)

When I was able to eat 100gms a day, I ditched the shakes and ended up with tanking protein labs, started losing hair and had some pedal edema so any day that I can't eat 150gms, I throw in a shake.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/3/11 1:36 am, edited 12/29/11 7:05 am - Burlington County, NJ

Valerie G.
on 12/2/11 7:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I only had problems with straight milk, but all other dairy was easy.  I ate a lot of custard early out, then found my way to ricotta fluff and thelma salad.  Another favorite is flourless peanut butter cookies, a great thing to carry in your purse.  I used to make those for my son's wrestling team during tournaments.  They never knew they were as healthy as they were.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active