breakfast suggestions-non-egg, dairy, or coffee!

provolisa
on 12/2/11 5:39 am - Provo, UT
As I mentioned in another thread, I need suggestions for breakfasts once I am able to eat after surgery.

I live in a nursing home, where eggs are the protein of choice for breakfast, every single day of the year. But, I hear they are hard to take, post DS, so I figure I need other options.
Dairy would be my favorite choice, but I may end up lactose intolerant.
I won't have access to leftovers from the day before.
And I don't drink coffee (though I love it) because I am Mormon, and have decided to get back on the straight and narrow. So protein coffee shakes are out of the picture.

What on earth does that leave?

This isn't a crisis, or anything, but I am trying to get my ducks in a row now so that I won't have much to figure out while I am recovering. I will have the option of keeping food in a small refrigerator in my room.

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 5:49 am
I never had any trouble with eggs and was eating them at a week out. (I don't know what your surgeon recommends early out)

There are plenty of protein shake recipes that don't involve coffee.

Just a hint, if you do try eggs and they don't sit well, wait a week and try again.

You are going to be fine.

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/2/11 5:53 am, edited 12/1/11 5:54 pm
YOu can buy whey protein shakes that you use in a shaker cup (from GNC) and use those for breakfast. It gets boring but it works. I ordered some samples from VitaLady and also got some EAS protein shakes powder from Target. No coffee necessary. Flavors of the EAS are chocolate and vanilla and VitaLady's shakes come in just about every flavor imaginable. Oh and you can make them with water (or almond milk--35 cal a cup!!!). Also, you can try something like Isopure in the flavorless variety and add it to whatever you're drinking.

Good luck,
Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

waterman691
on 12/2/11 6:38 am - west monroe, LA
 Hi
What about oatmeal with butter and heavy whipping cream.  Works for me.
Rno

Arnold  HW 330  Pre Surg  300
linda1814
on 12/2/11 7:07 am
 Oatmeal isn't a good choice until she's much further out and has the stomach space to give up on something that is so carby.  As a DSers, especially a new post-op, she needs protein first and foremost.  Also oatmeal may be hard to tolerate.  I can't eat it .. the gluten would kill me and it would just sit and be heavy.  I'm over 2.5 years post op.  

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

teachmid
on 12/2/11 7:15 am - OKC, OK
Oatmeal is not a good DS choice. Sorry. I do a protein shake and bacon every morning. I thrive on a routine.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

fullhousemom
on 12/2/11 7:53 am, edited 12/2/11 7:54 am
Why is oatmeal not a good choice?  Because of the carbs?  That was one of the specific items on the suggested items to eat early out from my doctor.  I have it most mornings but I do add a protein powder to it, with some nuts and maybe some dried cranberries or raisins.  I also find that it settles my stomach every morning.

teachmid
on 12/2/11 8:08 am - OKC, OK
Yes, the carbs. I ate oatmeal thinned out for the first two weeks after surgery and mashed potatoes, but then started watching my carbs. Many of us shoot for less than 50 carbs a day, and 1/2 c is 27 gms. (not that I could have eaten a half cup.). There's just not room to eat all those carbs when we need to fill up on protein first.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

linda1814
on 12/2/11 7:16 am
Hi Lisa, 
I never had any problem with eggs.  Different textures and/or smells could bother you and turn you off from eggs but most people seem to tolerate them pretty well.  What about other breakfast meats like sausage, ham, bacon?  

There are several brands of ready to drink protein shakes that are lactose free.  You can also mix your shakes with water and half and half.  Half and half is easier to tolerate than milk if you are lactose intolerate.  If you're very concerned, pop a couple of lactaid until you can test it out (the half and half I mean).  You don't have to use tons of water.  I see people making those huge blender bottles but I don't bother with that much liquid.  Same thing with cheese... MUCH less lactose in cheese than in milk.  I was lactose intolerant before surgery and I ate cheese without any problems.  

I'm guessing Greek yogurt might be hard to come by although you said you will have a mini fridge? I mixed some of mine for breakfast today with a scoop of protein powder thinned out with a little half and half.  How about cottage cheese?  Or even store some lunchmeat in your mini fridge to make ham and cheese rollups or something like that.  

I wouldn't waste tummy space on carbs which might not sit well and would be too filling and potentially prevent you from getting all your protein in.  

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

provolisa
on 12/2/11 7:33 am, edited 12/2/11 7:34 am - Provo, UT
Oooh - ham and cheese roll-ups and cottage cheese both sound especially good to me!

I am leery of protein drinks because my surgeon wants his patients to do without, and it seems like everyone complains about the taste. Those coffee protein shakes seem like the only recipe that people actually brag about, lol! I figured I would keep protein shakes for the few occasions when I go out, to make sure I don't get caught at mealtime without a plan.

They have bacon, sausage, or ham here about 3 times a week, so I can't count on breakfast meat's availability. But, I could have the ham and cheese rollups on hand for those other days. Cottage cheese I can get from the kitchen or the nurse's station anytime.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Most Active